Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TellMeWhy
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub for wired home network

Go to solution

Hi all, I just started to use full fibre at my home today. This is a new house and there are wired network input sockets on the wall. There is no problem with wireless internet (the smart hub distributes IP addresses from DHCP pool to the wireless devices successfully) but when I try to connect my laptop using an ethernet cable into a wall ethernet socket I can see that there is no signal at all. I connected the smart hub to a wall socket on the wall. I was expecting the smart hub to work as a network hub or switch and assign an IP address to my laptop but it didn't. In order to test the cable and the device, I connected my laptop directly to the hub in a gigabit ethernet port, it connected successfully. There is no problem with the cable or laptop. There is no problem in the smart hub ( DHCP function is enabled already ) I guess the possible problems are as follows: 

1. The smart hub does not work as a network switch and I need to get a switch for my purpose.

2. There is problem with the wired infrastructure of the house. 

What do you suggest to me in this manner? Should I buy a network switch or check the wired infrastructure?

Thanks you in advance for your recommendations

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub for wired home network

Go to solution

Check your wiring, are you sure you are connecting the hub to the correct Ethernet port?

0 Ratings
TellMeWhy
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you for your recommendation. There are 3 gig ethernet ports in my smart hub and I used Port1. I mean I connect an ethernet cable into Port1 and connect the other side into the wall socket. The smart hub is in grand floor and my laptop is in 1st floor. I connect my laptop using a gigabit ethernet cable into the wall. If the hub can work as a network switch then the problem is in wired network infrastructure. What do you say?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Do you have other Ethernet wall sockets you can use normally there is a panel of 4

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

It is not unknown for developers to provide the sockets but no wiring!!

0 Ratings
TellMeWhy
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
as I understand from your reply, the smart hub can work as a network switch and can distribute IP addresses to the client machines when it is connected to a wired network. Am I correct?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Of course

ChrisB
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Yes! Sounds like the developer didn't connect the sockets together. If your laptop works directly when connected to the hub then with two Ethernet patch leads it should work via your wall sockets too.
TellMeWhy
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
I will check the wired infrastructure. It seems the problem is related to it
0 Ratings