cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
topcat9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub ipV6 pinholes do not work

So, I set up ipV6 on my smart hub and pointed my external  DNS to the Global Unicast address of the Smart hub. Then I set up an ipV6 Pinhole to one of my computers, External ports set to start and end at 80 and Protocol: TCP/UDP. When I entered the external URL of a website hosted on that particular computer I saw a screen saying BT Access Control had blocked my access. Access Control is NOT turned on on the Smart Hub. To get the website on that computer to be accessible via its URL I have to change my DNS to point to the ipv6 address of that computer and not to the Smart Hub. 

Has anybody successfully implemented ipV6 pinholes in this way? Or am I missing/not understading something?

In case it's relevant I have Smart HUb 6A with SG4B1000B540 firmware.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub ipV6 pinholes do not work

Must admit I haven't played with IPv6, but I thought the whole point is that each device has a routable IPv6 address and therefore port forwarding is  no longer needed hence having to point to the particular device you want to access rather than the router address.

It also therefore allows the same port to be used on more than one device at a time as you route directly to the device.

0 Ratings
topcat9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

That kind of makes sense in so much as that is effectively what I found I had to do to get my website working. It does, however, beg the question - what are the ipV6 pinholes on the Smart Hub for?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Again just guessing, it might just be to open the firewall to the ports.

0 Ratings
topcat9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I appreciate your comments. The thing is that, with the set up the way I described, the website works fine with no pinholes set up - which is what I expected as the pinholes are on the router and the current set up goes straight to the computer hosting the website.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Hmm, but I would have thought it needed the firewall to be open on the router to allow access to the individual machine though. Which is what I thought the pinhole achieved.

0 Ratings
topcat9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Definitely doesn't seem to be the case. No pinholes set up and DNS pointing to the ipv6 address of the computer hosting the website. (The DNS also has the ipV4 address of the router set up, which was how it worked with just ipV4 and port forwarding.) As I said originally, setting up to point the DNS to the ipV6 address of the router gives me an Access control message when I try to connect to the website with or without pinholes.

0 Ratings