cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Smart Hub latency spikes

Hi,

Just had my old Home Hub 5 replaced by the new Smart Hub, working fine for a couple of weeks, few latency spikes here and there but nothing major. For the last week now the connection has been unusable for anything slightly bandwidth intensive such as Streaming or Gaming.

In any online multiplayer games the ms will spike up to 1600ms multiple times a minute, same VoIP programs such as Teamspeak and Discord.

So far in my attempts to remedy this myself I have Split the Wireless bands, changed wireless channel countless times, disconnected all devices then tried only with my PC the problem still persists and I have also contacted BT Support and had my line reset seamingly having no effect on this end. struggling now with what to try next, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Callum

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart Hub latency spikes

Welcome to this user forum. @Feert

You would be better off going back to using your old home hub 5, as there are quite a few reported issues with the smart hub, especially wireless connections.

If you must stick with the smart hub, then use only Ethernet connections for best performance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Hi @Keith_Beddoe,

With regards to the old home hub 5, it was having similar problems if not worse and had been replaced multiple times so I'm reluctant to go back to that if I'm honest. This will have been 2nd smart hub now and pretty much the same thing has happened. after its setup it's fine for a few weeks then deteriorates rapidly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Perhaps its errors on your phone line causing re-transmissions?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Just tried that as you said @Keith_Beddoe

Not sure what I should listening out for as I haven't done one of those tests myself before. I could hear a very faint 'poping' sound but that was about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call the line should be totally silent
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

hi @john46

with a change of handset the noise I had mentioned has gone, assuming it was a problem with that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Using the phone may have cleared any bad connection or noise that was affecting your broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe Just checked to see if that sorted it this morning, unfortunately still the same problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

are you using a wired or wireless connection ?
0 Ratings