Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bowdon
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub still reboots after 14 days.

Go to solution

I've started using the Smart Hub again after previously using a HH5 a few years ago. Back in my HH5 days it used to reboot every 14 days for no reason.

Some have said its supposed to do that. While others are saying it was some kinda software/firmware bug, and the recent firmware update was supposed to have resolved the issue.

I was watching my stats on the Smart Hub and sure enough when it got to day 14 it rebooted. I had checked the technical log and sure enough the remote commands told it to reboot.

So is the reboot every 14 days supposed to happen?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub still reboots after 14 days.

Go to solution
Mine reboots every 30 days and is rock solid since the last update, I guess some hh6 are better quality than others as this is my 3rd and lucky enough works really well good WiFi coverage and ipv6, speeds have gone down slightly since the last update otherwise all good!
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I think anything said here will be guess work, but I'll join the conversation Smiley Tongue

I'm not sure the quality of the Hub hardware has much, if anything, to do with how often it might reboot. It's more likely the quality of the software that's running on that hardware that would result in a reboot.

As to the software..... it will have bugs. Period. Those bugs can manifest in different ways such as a 'panic' causing an immediate reset of a device, to a much slower and gradual reduction of the performance of the device due to a bug in a process hogging CPU or not releasing memory. In the latter case, over an extended period of time, all available memory is used... and we get to the 'panic' and reset scenario.

We know the Hubs are managed by BT so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Hub is monitored for things such as rogue processes causing higher than normal CPU utilisation or memory consumption. If a Hub is getting to the point where its operational state is such that it may crash, why not have some management system reset it gracefully? And hopefully in the early hours of the morning when the user is less likely to be using it.

As to why some hubs seem to reset every 14 days, some at 30 days and some seemingly never, that could simply be down to the specific environment in which the hub operates. There are many factors affecting 'the environment' and no two will be identical. The variables will include things such as the characteristics of an individual phone line, the total number of clients on the LAN, the number of WiFi clients, how often those clients connect/disconnect, the traffic volumes through a device, whether someone uses additional features such as port forwarding, USB 'drives' etc.

Unfortunately, as is the case for most ISP router, all this is simply conjecture as we have little visibility into the operational state of the device.

Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Some good information there well said 👍
0 Ratings
mike8
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Mine smart hub reboots usually around 14 days, for no good reason via TR69 (although the log always blames the user 🙂 ) Whilst I appreciate networks get flushed on occassions generally its a pity TR69 software isnt intelligent enough NOT to reboot whilst one is using the internet to do ones online banking! And I am 60 metres from my DSLAM and get 80/20 with no line noise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

it is annoying when it resets when you are using the internet  I used to reset mine at about 1am that way the 14 day cycle happened when I was not using the internet

my connection eventually 'grew' out of it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mike8
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

great idea!

0 Ratings