cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Smart Hub wifi extender?

Hi, I have Fibre 100 (FTTP) with a Smart Hub 2.  During the order process, BT inadvertently sent me another hub, the Smart Hub 1.

As I have a house with 3 floors, I wondered if I could use the Smart Hub 1 on the middle floor as a range extender that devices on middle & top floors could connect to rather than struggling to get a connection to the main Smart Hub 2 which is in a downstairs office?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Smart Hub wifi extender?

You can but you have to connect the two by ethernet cable Lan to Lan.

Disable the DHCP server on the hub 6, disable Authoritive DHCP, change the IP address (of the hub6) to something outside of the SH2 DHCP pool (e.g. 192.168.1.1) 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response but I’m not great on the tech terminology  is there an idiots guide way of detailing the procedure (eg how do I get to access and change these settings)?  Also it would be possible to connect by cable due to the distance.  Could I do it via a couple of Netgear Powerline  plugs that I have?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

You could link that way but I wouldn't recommend it. It sounds like your best bet would be something like a home hotspot which is basically a powerline converter with WiFi

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

“You could link that way but I wouldn't recommend it.”

Why not? A hardwired wireless point made from a repurposed router is going be better Powerline technology.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

The OP was asking about linking the two routers via Power Line Adapters which made me think that when he said "Also it would be possible to connect by cable due to the distance. " he actually meant to say   Also it would be impossible to connect by cable due to the distance. 

0 Ratings