Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 32

Smart Hub - wifi network names problem

Go to solution

Just received my HH6 and it didn't take long to hit the first problem.

I tried to change the network names to be the same as the HH5 it replaced so I don't have to change all of my wireless devices.  On the HH5 I had different names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.  There are good technical reasons for doing this which I wont go into here.

The HH6 wont let me change the 5 GHz network name to the one I had set up on the HH5 - it keeps inserting a '-5' at the end of whatever I type!

How do I disable this so I can put in the network name I want?

Thanks

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: Smart Hub - wifi network names problem

Go to solution

jaybeetoo wrote: 

I tried to change the network names to be the same as the HH5 it replaced so I don't have to change all of my wireless devices.  On the HH5 I had different names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.  There are good technical reasons for doing this which I wont go into here.

The HH6 wont let me change the 5 GHz network name to the one I had set up on the HH5 - it keeps inserting a '-5' at the end of whatever I type!

How do I disable this so I can put in the network name I want?

You can't - for whatever reason BT have decided that the 5 Ghz SSID has to have  '-5' at the end.

They may change it in future but at the moment the firmware is designed to do exactly that.

0 Ratings
CHarrisMedia
Beginner
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution
I think it's a software "feature" although it only seems to be annoying. There is currently a "glitch" I've just found to remove it however, if you type the network name you want before the -5 and then highlight the -5, quickly press delete on your keyboard as you click "Save", this removes it from the network name, you have to be quick however because it does reappear quite quickly.
0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution
Ha ha! You must be able to type a lot faster than me!
0 Ratings
CHarrisMedia
Beginner
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution
Umm it should be quite simple actually, maybe you've got it the wrong way round a little, lemme explain step by step.

So after you've split the 2 channels using the "Separate Bands" toggle:

1. Type the 5Ghz network name you wish, example, "BTHome", you'll automatically get -5 added to it, making it "BTHome-5"
2. Highlight the -5 part of the text string
3. Hover your mouse over "Save" at the top right
4. Press delete on your keyboard and save in conjunction, as quickly as possible.

It's likely you'll get the warning message about your SSID not being secure, that's fine the -5 will not be added during this process so simply press confirm/save and wait for the saving to be complete.

Job done.
0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution
You must have to get the timing just right. I managed to get the broadcast name with the '-5' but the HH6 admin screen showing the name without the '-5'! I'll keep trying.

Thanks
0 Ratings
CHarrisMedia
Beginner
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution
You're half way there, just make sure you're giving it time to save completely and turning wifi off and then back on to look for new signals on your device.
0 Ratings
CHarrisMedia
Beginner
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

Just realised for some reason this method no longer is working. Very frustrating.

0 Ratings
getfixing
Beginner
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

Hi BT.

Can this be resolved ASAP.

I don't want my SSID enforced.

As long as when you split the bands the two values can't be the same.

I would rather have my SSID end in XYCXZ-5G and not -5 as the Smart Hub is forcing.

This didnt happen in the Home Hub 5.

0 Ratings
getfixing
Beginner
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

@SeanD Can you confirm this will be fixed in a future firmware update or have it added to be considered into a future development release.

Thanks

0 Ratings