cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Smart hub 2 and original whole home wifi

I’ve got a smart hub 2 and an original set of 3 whole home Wi-fi discs but the smart hub fails to recognise that these discs exist. They happily connect to the hub, all are wired connection, but the hub sees all the devices connected to the discs as wired connections

1E57121B-3F0B-4BDE-9A18-72FB6AD6BC9F.png

Are the original discs incompatible with the smart hub 2 (the down side of early adoption) or is there any way to resolve this issue ? If the answer is the discs should all connect via Wi-Fi then that’s not really a solution for me due to the nature of my set up.

thanks

denis

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Smart hub 2 and original whole home wifi

If everything is working except the pretty picture, what's the problem? The hub network map is dire.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

2 reasons basically … Firstly I generally connect to the SH2 so can’t “admin” the other discs from there with the whole home app. SecondlyI’m not sure the handoff from hub to disc and vice versa works as it seamlessly should despite the SSIDs being the same.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

The Smart Hub 2 will only recognise the "Complete Wi-Fi" disks.

The disks you have create an independent Wi-Fi network for you.
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Hmm, thanks BT for thinking about compatibility when you released the smart hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Its nothing to do with compatibility, the white discs are agnostic to ISP and work with any router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

You bought a stand alone product which works as it was intended to.
It is compatible with the SH2, it just doesn't integrate into the control panel.
Cheers
Ted
Message 8 of 21

So is the seamless handoff between hub and disc supposed to work when the both advertise the same SSID ?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

@patters_uk wrote:

So is the seamless handoff between hub and disc supposed to work when the both advertise the same SSID ?

No, the Whole Home System is a totally separate wireless mesh, it cannot give seamless roaming to the smart hub 2. In fact you would be better turning off the wireless on the smart hub 2.

Seamless roaming requires that all wireless nodes work to the same protocol, and have firmware to handle the routing.

Message 10 of 21

There's a common misconception that by giving wifi devices  the same SSID they will seamlessly hand over to each other, that is not the case.