Message 11 of 21

Re: Smart hub 2 and original whole home wifi

But it is the case with whole home Wi-Fi
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

@patters_uk wrote:
But it is the case with whole home Wi-Fi

That is because nodes communicates with each other to keep a record of which devices are connected to each node, and at what signal level.

Once the signal quality deteriorates, a device will be handed over to the next node, which has the better connection, depending on whether the device can handle seamless roaming, not all devices can.

All nodes have the same SSID, but their BSSID (Wireless MAC address) is different for each one.

Message 13 of 21

The whole home wifi is a standalone mesh system which has the necessary software to hand off seamlessly but doesn't integrate with the host router of whatever make or model. The Complete wifi system (black discs) is integrated into the Smart Hub2 as a mesh system.

Message 14 of 21

I’d best look to get a complete Wi-fi disc then. Are there any differences in the types of the black discs if I try and buy from eBay. Bt shop price of £100 is a bit steep
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Can you not experiment with the location of the 3 white discs and simply turn off the hub wifi?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

@patters_uk 

Before you pay out for a Complete Wifi disc, it might be worth checking that it will actually work:

Just yesterday I was also thinking about ditching my 3 disc WHW system in favour of a Complete WiFi disc, due to WiFi Calling calls dropping out when moving between discs. I called the WHW Helpdesk to enquire if they were aware of this call drop out issue, (they weren't), and also said that I was thinking about buying a Complete WiFi disc instead.

I was told that just having the black disc is not enough - it also has to be enabled within the SmartHub2. This apparently can only be done by BT, when getting the system from them.

I repeat this in good faith - as to whether it is true or not I cannot say.

Message 17 of 21

@patters_uk wrote:
I’d best look to get a complete Wi-fi disc then. Are there any differences in the types of the black discs if I try and buy from eBay. Bt shop price of £100 is a bit steep

Stick with what you have, you are unlikely to see any improvement with the BT Complete Wifi black discs. Just remember to turn off the wireless on the smart hub 2, to reduce any possible interference.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Thanks. If it’s a configuration item that bt have to enable then I’ll leave as is. I’m not paying out a shed load more if it’s not going to work.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

As I said, I'm not able to confirm if BT do have to enable the SmartHub for Complete WiFi discs - hopefully someone else on these forums may be able to advise?

Message 20 of 21

Nah, you have the "add a new disk" option in the settings of the SH2. It detects them when you fist connect them over ethernet.

You don't get seamless transition, from disk to disk. With the Complete Wi-Fi disks either. Some devices stubbornly cling to the first connection. Only changing when signal is lost.
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings