cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AptalOkuz
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Smart hub 2 connection problem

I have a Smart Hub 2. Apart from my Brother MFC9840CDW printer, everything connects perfectly. The printer does not connect. It recognises the SSID name but when I type in the password I get a message ' connection error'. Prior to the Smart Hub 2 the printer connected with no problem to a the BT Hub 4. On the Smart Hub 2 I have 'Smart Set Up' switched off and I have tried connecting on each of the three modes but none allow connection. I have uninstalled the printer drivers and downloaded and re installed current drivers and reset both hub and printer to factory settings. I have also set up a non-internet-connected SSID using a spare modem to which the printer connects and prints. I have run out of ideas how to connect the printer to the Smart Hub 2. Can anybody help please?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart hub 2 connection problem

Try turning off the 5Ghz wireless.

AptalOkuz
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks, I have just tried that following your suggestion but the printer still will not connect!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

As a real long shot, try changing the SSID of the SH2 to the same as the SSID that worked

0 Ratings
AptalOkuz
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

It is the same. We have so many devices that connect at one time or another I tried to make it simple and transparent to avoid disgruntled family members!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

In that case, I'm afraid I'm clean out of ideas.

0 Ratings
AptalOkuz
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Me too. But your time and help is much appreciated. It is just so frustrating. My only thought is buying a new modem and connecting my spare router to it to replace the Smart Hub 2!
0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Does the printer have the option to connect to via WPS? If so, and you haven’t already, you could select that option and then press the WPS button on the SmartHub and see if it connects.

0 Ratings
AptalOkuz
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Yes, the printer has WPS and I have tried to connect that way too, but sadly no luck.  I am pretty sure it is not the printer,  given that it connected previously and connects subsequently to other routers. Nonetheless, I have written to Brother to see if they have come across this problem with the Smart Hub 2 before.  I await their response. Thanks for your interest.

0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

I've got an HP printer and also had a problem recently where it wouldn't connect to my SmartHub 2 network - although it previously had, without any problems. It didn't seem to like the fact that I'd turned off Smart Channel selection and set the 2.4GHz network to Channel 1 and the the 5.0GHz network to Channel 48 (I was experimenting with moving the channels away from those that Sky Q uses). By turning Smart Channel selection back on so that it auto selects resolved the problem. I have no idea why, but connectivity was restored.

0 Ratings