cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Smart hub 2 setup

Go to solution

I have a Home Hub 5 (HH5) and two separately purchased (white) BT Halo discs, one connected to HH5 by ethernet and one paired wifi. When I set this up a year ago I was advised to turn off the HH5 wifi to avoid 2 separate hotspots in the house. I have just re-contracted with BT and have received a Smart Hub 2 (SM2). The advice is to disconnect all ethernet connected devices and reconnect to the new SH2. Here's my question. Should I turn off the wifi on the SH2  as before? Logic says yes but if the new SH2 is so good, maybe I no longer need the Halo discs.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Smart hub 2 setup

Go to solution

If your current setup is working, why change it? Just put the SH2 in a drawer and keep it as a spare. I doubt the wifi performance of the SH2 is much, if any, better than the HH5.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I agree with @licquorice  if your existing setup is working ok then I would not change it just to connect the SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

As I am aware the SM2 will not work with the white discs, they need Black ( Complete Wi Fi Discs )

The Whole Home ( White which you have, one needs to be plugged into the hub ). I understand that the Wi Fi from the hub is turned off on this system automatically.

With the complete Wi Fi you do not plug a disc ( Black ) into the hub, and hence the Wi Fi remains on , such as to communicate with the first disc placed in another room. 5G or 2.4G depending on circumstances.

Regards

Chris

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Completely wrong. The white discs will work with ANY router, not BT specific. The black discs will ONLY work with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
So are you telling me that the white discs will work with the SH2.?
Chris
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Of course.

The white discs are totally agnostic to router.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks, And is it incorrect with the whole home white discs, one has to be plugged into the hub whereas with the complete system black discs, you do not have to have one plugged into the hub.

chris

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

No, that is correct. The first white disc needs to be connected by Ethernet, the black discs connect via WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for that. I am however confused. You stated earlier that my assumption of this fact was completely wrong.

I was not aware that whites worked with SM2, i understand from your reasoning you can. However on this forum it has already been stated that if you plug whites into a SM2 certain lights do not alight as they are meant too.

Also am aware that blacks and whites can not be mixed in the same setup. (DISCS )

Thanks for your info

Regards

Chris

0 Ratings