cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Smart hub 2 with bt WiFi discs - unknown device in my trying app

I have an unknown device in mybt app.

The mac address starts with C6:08:52.

I've tried a number of mac address look up sites but the manufacturer can't be identified. Anyone have any idea what this is?

I have skyQ, Samsung phone/tablet, iphone/tablet, NAS, tvs, laptops, printer....all present in the app. So this is an extra device and I can't think what it could be.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart hub 2 with bt WiFi discs - unknown device in my trying app

Most phones now generate a random MAC when they connect for privacy reasons.  It’s almost certainly one of the phones.  The function can be turned off on most phones, allowing them to use their real MAC.  Turn it off, see if you’re still getting unknown devices.

I would also remember that a lot of devices do not identify themselves to the router and so will flag as “unknown” even when it is one your own devices.

Unless the kids have given your WiFi password to their friends, it’s highly unlikely to be anything from outside.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the suggestion but my phones are all identified in the app, with the mac addresses I expect. 

Unless for some reason one of them would have 2 addresses?

I'll try turning all of the phones off though and see if that makes it go away

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I have been using an Asus modem/router for a while, but when the BT hub 2 and mesh dropped on me I thought I would give it a go. So I did and it all works rather well – in fact very well.

So being a bit of a geek I had a look at the BT hub on my browser and to my surprise I too had an “unknown device” turn up on my wifi network. The mac address says it is an AsusTek item, and that was as close as I got to identifying it. Interestingly it was not using any data transfer upload or download. It was not greyed out and I could not remove it. Interestingly it was not showing up on the BT phone app. This got me thinking.

I watched it for a few days and it was just there doing nothing. So I switched off my usual laptop and hopped onto another one I have and accessed the BT hub via the browser and the “unknown device” was there, however it was greyed out and I could then remove it. (Incidentally both laptops are Acer units).

So I went back to my usual laptop (Incidentally both laptops are Acer) and checked the hub from there and sure enough it was gone, and it has not come back. I can’t be sure but I suspect, in my case, it was some sort of legacy/memory embedded on my main laptop from using the Asus modem/router previously that was showing up.

I was certain it was not something to do with a virus or similar – I run a very clean system and nobody gets on my wifi without the huge complex password assigned to it.

So my guess it was some sort of ghost from my previous Asus router use, and that’s the best I can do.  Hope it helps.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks but I don't think that's it.

Funnily enough it is not there today.......just all the expected devices.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it

0 Ratings