cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ism123
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Smart hub 5 and wired to patch panel set up

Just started with BT and need some help with set up please. Previous set up used the open reach modem to distribute the bb signal round the cable points in the house, allowing me to site the router in the best position to maximise WiFi strength.

How do I replicate this with the smart hub 5? 

Thanks

Ian

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart hub 5 and wired to patch panel set up

Site the hub 5 adjacent to the master socket and distribute the LAN ports to one or more wireless access points via the cables.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Assuming you have a BT Network connection with a Data and PSTN port on the socket just extend the Data one to the patch panel. or mode a ADSL2+ Super High Speed Cat5e RJ11 Broadband Hub Internet Extension Cable for BT Infinity.
I used a RJ11 cable both ends of a CAT 6 RJ45 patch that worked for me.
ism123
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the replies. I guess my initial post wasn’t clear or detailed enough so will try again...

Current set up is: attic IT cupboard: incoming cable to white box on wall, box connected to micro filter then into open reach modem. Modem connected to patch panel/switch to distribute the bb signal around the house. Router connected at double data point sited in middle of house to give best WiFi coverage, it is linked back into the network via lan cable to give continued wired bb to the network. (TBH I’m not sure this is correct, but bear with me)

The new BT router doesn’t work with the open reach modem as far as I can tell. I guess what I’m trying to do is omit the open reach modem and essentially connect the aj11 after the micro filter into my network and then pick it up on the middle floor with the router. 

Most of the hardware in the house is connected via lan cables, only phones and iPads use WiFi.

Thanks for any further pointers!

Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Then just employ the method described by @lnajr02 , for dual PSTN/ data socket read micro filter.

Connect the data socket of the filter (RJ11) to the appropriate RJ45 socket in the patch panel and then connect the data point RJ45 to the router RJ11 DSL socket. You just need 2 RJ11-RJ45 cables.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean when you say you currently distribute the BB signal around the house, you can only use one router in one location at any given time.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

You are correct the HUB5 works with no BT Openreach modem, Not sure about the newer fibre to the home but that is the case for the older setup.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Can you provide a plan of your network and devices and we can advice
0 Ratings
ism123
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the replies, the cables -  aj11 to rj45 and vice versa - should be here tomorrow and I’ll post how I get on.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Forgot to say if you if your BB connection is via a micro filter and not a Network Terminating point you can just move the micro filter to an extension socket

Also RJ11 plugs will fit into RJ45 sockets so a RJ11 to RJ11 Cable both ends would work. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@lnajr02 wrote:

Also RJ11 plugs will fit into RJ45 sockets so a RJ11 to RJ11 Cable both ends would work. 

They will, but it is not recommended practice.

0 Ratings