cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bubbleless
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Smart hub 6 No wireless when Ethernet cable plugged in ??

Hi, I have a strange problem I have a laptop running windows 7 , yes now has its updates back running fine, and a smart hub 6.

If I use it with no ethernet cable connected then the wireless works fine.

Connect an ethernet cable and then the laptop can still see the connection and the wireless signal stregenth is still Max but Windows is unable to connect to the internet.

The ethernet cable seems to "Rob" the wireless.... 🙂

Dissconnect the cable and bingo the laptop logs on to the internet no problem.

When the ethernet cable is plugged in the tv box on the other end works fine

Any ideas

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart hub 6 No wireless when Ethernet cable plugged in ??

if you conenct the ethernet cable to your laptop then you need to disable the wireless or vice versa - you can't have both

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

You should not need to switch off wireless so that you can use Ethernet. If you set the priority to automatically select Ethernet over wireless.

See link how to do that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2526067

0 Ratings
bubbleless
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

So I cant have my laptop in wireless mode and plug a tv box in via ethernet cable to the bt hub ????

0 Ratings
bubbleless
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

The ethernet cable is plugged into the hub not laptop
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

sorry that is not how I read your initial post

you should be able to conenct devices to the hub by ethernet and at same time have other devices using wireless conneted to the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bubbleless
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

This is what happends .

Smart hub, connected and operating normally , blue light, connected etc.

Switch on laptop, running normally

it finds the wifi signal then logs in, connected to the internet, I can now use  the internet on my lap top.

the internet works fine.

If I then connect my tv box to the smart hub, the tv box works fine connected to the Home hub,when I do this the internet that I am recieving on my laptop drops, the wireless signal is still on max 5 bars I think, but there is no internet.

Then when the internet has dropped if you try to reconnect to it "Windows cannot connect to the Home hub Router"

It will stay this way until I disconnect the ethernet cable from the home hub. then my laptop will be able to log onto the internet again.

I can either have wireless from the home hub OR ethernet but it seems I cannot have both.

Its as if the home hub ethernet cable connection disconnects the Internet when the cable is connected.

All the time the laptop will "see" the router with a signal of 5 ..max, but will not be able to log in to the router, when the cable is connected.

Possible faulty home hub??

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I wonder if a recent firmware update has broken something, there is another thread with the same problem https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Using-a-HH5-will-my-wired-laptop-cause-WiFi-dro...

You could try a factory reset of the hub to see if that solves anything.

0 Ratings