cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Smart plugs and Powerline500

I have a powerline plug that I use to connect my Youview box to the router (BT HH6).  I bought 4 smart plugs.  They connected to the HH without any problems.  However, when a plug is switched on it causes a drop in the transmission rate on the powerline plug.  I had bought 4 smart plugs and have tried them in different locations and consistently have the same problem.  Having googled to see if others have found a similar problem, I have found nothing.

Have I got 4 faulty plugs or is there something I can try to fix the problem.

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Smart plugs and Powerline500

What make and model are the Smart plugs?
0 Ratings
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Broadband extender Flex 500 Kit from BT. 

Aok_0-1575977083084.png

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

Hi just to confirm you have 4 X BT extender 500's I would recommend that you set the first pair in the same room and test your internet speed. Then move the 2nd to any other room but on the same consumer (fuse box) and test again. The powerlines don't like old power wiring or things like fridge motors. Then if this works add one more using the same method. Your network will only work at the lower speed. Also check that you have no other older powerlines connected not all are compatible.
good luck
0 Ratings
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Hi.

Thanks for your email.  The powerline plugs work without problems when the smart plugs are not switched on.  Only when the smart plugs are switched on do I have a problem.  

Any thoughts appreciated.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

The smart plugs are clearly introducing interference on the mains wiring. As it happens with more than one smart plug, it would appear to be a design fault. Have you tried a different manufacturer of smart plug?

0 Ratings
Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi

Thanks for your message.  I think based on your comment I will return the plugs and see if replacement plugs will work.

I bought them on Amazon and there were thousands of positive reviews.  There were no mentions of this type of interference.   So it could be a faulty set of plugs. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

The plugs themselves will have a tiny switch mode power supply inside, to reduce the voltage to the internal electronics.

These power supplies if not properly filtered, can transmit a lot of interference down the mains wiring. Unfortunately, good quality filtering components take up space inside, which would make the whole plug bigger.

A different manufacturer may be of better quality in this respect.

Aok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

That makes a lot of sense.  I picked these as they were small.  You have clearly identified what the issue may be.  

The brand I have Teckin.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@Aok wrote:

That makes a lot of sense.  I picked these as they were small.  You have clearly identified what the issue may be.  

The brand I have Teckin.

Not sure whether they comply with the UK/EU EMC regulations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

Which may be the issue.

0 Ratings