cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

SmartHub 2 WPS drop outs.

My set up is simple - hub by wifi to Netgear extender and ethernet cable from extender to TV.  This worked for years with Hub5.  After an upgrade to SmartHub2  the WPS pairing drops out after hours or sometimes days.   This has occurred several times, so is not a one off event. 

23 Jan. DoS(Port Scanning): IN=ppp1 OUT= MAC= src=89.248.165.59 DST=86.170.194.72 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=245 ID=63185 PROTO=TCP SPT=54927 DPT=47690 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000 

This DoS message is repeated about 20 time in the Technical log of the hub.  Am I subject to repeated hacking attempts or does anyone know  what is going on?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: SmartHub 2 WPS drop outs.

did you turn off smart setup

Turn Off smart setup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Yes.   Manual WPS set up.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

After a few days of stability I am losing the Hub WPS pairing to my wi fi booster.    Appears to be still associated with Dos (Port Scanning)  messages in the Technical log. 

This time there were about 20 repeats precisely at midnight.  identical timestamps.

Is this some sort of cyber attack ?    Any ideas please. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

It means that the hub firewall has detected and dealt with a port scan, these are not always malicious but of course many are, anyone with a connection to the internet can be subject to them.

They're not likely to be the cause of the problem with your extender though, start by making sure Smart Setup is disabled and telling the extender to forget the connection to the hub and set it up again manually (not by WPS)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I set up a pairing without WPS?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

It's in the manual but from memory, once you've done the factory rest you connect a pc to the extender with an Ethernet cable and typing something like netgear.ext into the address bar. Sorry to be so vague but I'm not in a position to give you a proper answer right now, I'll post later with the full procedure if I don't see a post from you saying you've done it

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

You didn't say what model number your extender is so I've assumed its the EX6000 (see picture) the same principle will probably apply whatever model you have. The manual setup procedure is at the bottom of page 9.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6000/EX6000_QSG_10June2015.pdf

This procedure helps you to log on to the extender after a factory reset but doesn't really show you how to set the IP address so I also included a screen shot which is (hopefully) self explanatory.

Edit: You're not restricted to using the same IP address as shown here, just don't go over 192.168.1.63

Netgear EX6000.png

Netgear EX6000.jpg

0 Ratings