cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 65

Re: Smarthub flashing purple light of doom?

It doesn't need to be a BT homehub. If any of your friends have a third party VDSL modem router to borrow you can set it up to connect to the BT network very easily and after seeing if it works or not you just re-enter the settings that were used by your friend.

It would of course mean that they would not have Internet while you carry out the test.

0 Ratings
leonkenworthy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 65

Of course that would be the obvious situation hahaha! I shall see if anyone has one. But like I said I doubt it.
0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 65

@leonkenworthy you may want to do this on you hub while looking for another router to try (nothing to lose except time):

1. Disconnect everything from the hub except the power
  2. Factory reset the hub using a pin in the back of the hub until the light goes Green
  3. Switch off the hub and remove power lead for 5 minutes
  4. Reconnect the power only and switch on the hub
  5. Wait until light goes Blue (if it stays flashing purple then assume problem with your hub / line). By the way light going to Blue may take upto 10 minutes!!
  6. If Light goes blue then reconnect everything.

Good luck

0 Ratings
leonkenworthy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 65

Cool going to try it as I'm running out of options!!
0 Ratings
leonkenworthy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 65

Nope still disco purple light............
0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 65

@Dippu wrote:

@leonkenworthy you may want to do this on you hub while looking for another router to try (nothing to lose except time):

1. Disconnect everything from the hub except the power
  2. Factory reset the hub using a pin in the back of the hub until the light goes Green
  3. Switch off the hub and remove power lead for 5 minutes
  4. Reconnect the power only and and the DSL (internet) lead and then switch on the hub
  5. Wait until light goes Blue (if it stays flashing purple then assume problem with your hub / line). By the way light going to Blue may take upto 10 minutes!!
  6. If Light goes blue then reconnect everything.

Good luck

@leonkenworthy Sorry I missed a vital step (in Red) but hopefully you noticed my mistake, if not then perhaps try again.

0 Ratings
leonkenworthy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 65

I did notice unfortunately and realised that could be important to put back in hahaha. Still purple disco light anyway. Talked to a friend who lives miles away who is a openreach engineer and he says the line is coming back OK on tests. Looks like a dead hub. Still could be the line but without been here he couldn't tell. Suggested the same steps as in here too. I can't believe I'm going to have to wait till the 21st then wait for a replacement hub after that for my internet that I'm paying for. Especially as its Christmas. It's just disgusting.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 65

Phone BT and tell them now your Smarthub lights won't come on. Not that they can check but just unplug it so that you are not lying to them. Go through all the things they will ask you to try (omtting to plug it in) and they will eventually get to the bit on their script "send out new hub".

0 Ratings
leonkenworthy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 65

Hahaha might just do that! Got a friend with a technicolor plusnet router he's dragging out of his loft for me to try! Any one know which settings I need to set it up for infinity?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 65

If it is a VDSL modem router it might just work on the BT connection without any changes. If not it could be locked to Plusnet and you may not be able to change the settings. If you can change them it is Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password if needed just use BT.

EDIT: If it is an older Plusnet router, you might find that it does not have a modem and needs an Openreach modem to connect.

0 Ratings