cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SStanford
Message 1 of 5

Smarthub issue - Major installation flaw

Hi, 

I moved into a new build property 3 months ago and, following weekly phonecalls to providers, BT were able to "turn on" the broadband line, excellent!

I recieved the BT smarthub last week and was told I would be ready to go with broadband today.

I've unboxed the hub to find out it won't work without an "openreach modem", never had one of these or seen one.

I tried plugging the smarthub straight into the broadband (as I would any other modem) and it doesn't work without the red "WAN" line being plugged in.

I've then plugged the broadband into my old router, and plugged the WAN line into that; I'm provided a helpline on the support site (Code: NC3-1), nobody answers this and I'm left on hold for 20 minutes before the call drops out.

I have to say I'm pretty shocked at the poor planning with regards to this service. Have been waiting a long time for broadband, incurring massive phone bills and there is very limited support  

As I am now paying for this service it would be good if I can get an answer sooner rather than later. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smarthub issue - Major installation flaw

@SStanford 

Does your installation look something like this?

ont.jpg

If it does, then you have an FTTP installation and you need a smart hub with a red WAN port.

smart hub 2.jpg

0 Ratings
SStanford
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I have nothing like this, I only have a broadband line connected to the telephone port via adapter. 

The only thing I would be able to plug a WAN cable into is my old router (talk talk). 

Historically, all I've ever had to do is plug the broadband cable into a router and switch it on!

Stu. 

0 Ratings
SStanford
Message 4 of 5

Looks exactly like this:

217WSptLnzL.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Then this is the way you need to connect things up, depending on what type of master socket you have. If you have a red WAN port, then you have been sent the wrong  version of the smart hub.

I assume you can get dial tone on your phone, and can make calls?

smart hub 2 vdsl.jpg