cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

So what exactly is BT Infinity's optimal MTU to avoid packet fragmentation when gaming?

Never had any issues on ADSL, my gaming connection was far superior on ADSL Wifi on a Homehub 3, than through a wired connection with a Homehub 5a/6a/TP Link router x2.

Here's where the issue lies.

PS4 uses 1500 mtu

Xbox one uses 1480 mtu

My connection was perfect with ADSL and the Homehub 3....On Wifi!

But pretty much unusable with VDSL and BT.

I've been told that BT infinity supports 1500 mtu over their network, which clearly is untrue with BT equipment as no BT router allows for jumbo frames, which must be the case as there is obviously the 8 byte PPPOE header.

I was told that the reason the 5A router has an MTU of 1488, is because of a '4 byte Ethernet Vlan header'....Why does the 6A not need this?

1500 and 1492 are extremely laggy, anything below 1492 warns of a 'packet fragmentation' issue on the PS4.

Randomly testing 1480, and there is significantly less lag, but it is still present.

PPPOE seems to be a nightmare for gaming.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: So what exactly is BT Infinity's optimal MTU to avoid packet fragmentation when gaming?

Never had an issue with PPPoE. I’m not using a BT router though and have a selection of routers from AX to gaming so called routers. 

0 Ratings