cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freezing77
Message 1 of 9

Socket placement

I wish to transfer to BT,  I want my modem/fibre installed on the second floor and not the ground floor. Is this something BT do.

TIA

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Socket placement

Welcome to this user forum.

Do you already have an existing broadband service connected to a phone socket?

0 Ratings
freezing77
Message 3 of 9

No I currently have Virgin fibre on the second floor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@freezing77 wrote:

No I currently have Virgin fibre on the second floor.

Is there an existing BT or Openreach labelled box elsewhere in the house, as Openreach would not use your Virgin Media wiring?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
freezing77
Message 5 of 9

I have three telephone sockets on the ground floor, one marked Virgin the other two unmarked. One was used for ADSL some many years ago from BT. The reason I moved to Virgin was for faster internet as the ADSL line could only support something like 2-3 mbps.

My fibre comes into the house directly on the second floor and is wired from the outside junction box at ground level to the second floor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I would expect that Openreach would use the existing socket that was originally used for ADSL.

What product are you going to order from BT Retail?

I assumed the Virgin connection is a cable connection, but it may well be fibre now. That network would belong to Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
freezing77
Message 7 of 9

Going to go for BT Superfast Fibre
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

if you use your address then this should give indication of expected speed range

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@freezing77 wrote:
Going to go for BT Superfast Fibre

Then Openreach would still use the original socket if it was still live. It depends on where the Openreach network enters the house. If it overhead, then there may be a better chance of getting a new socket fitted.

If it comes in underground, then you would have to run an extension cable yourself, or relocate the home hub downstairs.

0 Ratings