cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JLuk
Beginner
Message 11 of 74

Re: Software updated tonight and all seems well.

sounds like we all need the firmware.

Has anyone spoken to BT Help on this topic, to try and get on the upgrade list.

How long do you have to wait for it to be pushed to the Hub?

Wouldn't it be better to download the update yourselves?

Anyone else with this version SG4B10002236 11-Oct-2016 ?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 74

@JLuk wrote:

How long do you have to wait for it to be pushed to the Hub?

Wouldn't it be better to download the update yourselves?

Anyone else with this version SG4B10002236 11-Oct-2016 ?

This is not known. BT do not publish the deployment schedule. They also don't publish release notes so users can understand what's changed between releases. These are just two of the reasons people will cite for using third party routers.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 74

there is no fixed timescale for a firmware upgrade to be pushed to a hub the hub 6 is no different to any other hub when it comes to that all you can do is wait it is just a matter of leaving the hub powered up and connected to your phone line the rollout is automatic and normally done in batches
0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 14 of 74

I think it only fair to point out that I did not have any problems either with the original software that was in there. That was from May if I remember correctly.

The SmartHub has worked fine from when I took it out of the box.

I have Smarthub with an Apple AirPort Extreme connected via ethernet as a remote wireless access point. I also have the HomeHub 5 connected via TP-Link PowerLine adaptors as another wireless access point. 

On all three units the 2.4 & 5 GHz points all have seperate SSID's and all except the 5GHz port on the Airport have channels selected manually. The only reason the Airport has auto channel on 5GHz is so that it will go above channel 100, the lower 5GHz ports around here are quite busy.

I can see 32 other systems on 2.4GHz and 6 others on 5GHz.

Equipment connected included iPads, iPhones, an android HTC phone, a MacBook PRO, iMac, a Windows laptop, Kindle ereader  an iPod and finally a Synology NAS DS413J

It all just works without missing a beat.

Perhaps I am just lucky?

0 Ratings
pomeroyi
Message 15 of 74

Such a monopolistic view from BT.

Any other supplier would allow you to upgrade/update as a user option, especially given the abundance of issues with this Hub6 device.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 74

@RobertM wrote:

I think it only fair to point out that I did not have any problems either with the original software that was in there. That was from May if I remember correctly.

The SmartHub has worked fine from when I took it out of the box.

I have Smarthub with an Apple AirPort Extreme connected via ethernet as a remote wireless access point. I also have the HomeHub 5 connected via TP-Link PowerLine adaptors as another wireless access point. 

On all three units the 2.4 & 5 GHz points all have seperate SSID's and all except the 5GHz port on the Airport have channels selected manually. The only reason the Airport has auto channel on 5GHz is so that it will go above channel 100, the lower 5GHz ports around here are quite busy.

I can see 32 other systems on 2.4GHz and 6 others on 5GHz.

Equipment connected included iPads, iPhones, an android HTC phone, a MacBook PRO, iMac, a Windows laptop, Kindle ereader  an iPod and finally a Synology NAS DS413J

It all just works without missing a beat.

Perhaps I am just lucky?

I fully agree with you mine has also worked faultlessly since coming out of the box in May and I know of many others that are the same

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 74

@RobertM wrote:

@RobertM @john46

Two weeks ago I'd have agreed with you. I really didn't see how the HH6 was getting such 'bad press' on the forum.

I'd had the SG4B100021EC (May) firmware since the second day the HH6 was connected back in August, and no real problems. In comparison to the HH5 I had previously I now found I had IPv6 support, slightly better Wifi and my 'banded' profile was even removed so my downstream speed increased from 35Mbps to 49Mbps. This with around 50 real and virtual 'clients' connected via wired and wireless, using a mix of Linux, Windows, iOS and Android.

Unfortunately BT upgraded my hub to the SG4B100021F4 (June) firmware in early October and since that time the DNS server on the Hub has failed twice. No DNS means no real connectivity. I've also had one night where PPP disconnected / re-connected 21 times in eight minutes, and I see devices dropping off the Wifi more often.

The June version version is definitely worse. Let's hope the November release fixes some things.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 74

Personally I had no problems with the June firmware and I know others with the same results
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 74

Yep. And I'm sure there are tens (or perhaps even hundreds) of thousands in the same position, but you only have to look at the volume of HH6 'traffic' on the forum.

You're right in what you said in one of your other posts, that people only come to the forum to get help or complain, but I think the number of people looking for help for the HH6 is far higher than it has been for other products.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 74

@smf22 wrote:

You're right in what you said in one of your other posts, that people only come to the forum to get help or complain, but I think the number of people looking for help for the HH6 is far higher than it has been for other products.

You must have missed all the posts when the HH5 came out and all the subsequent posts about it!

0 Ratings