cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Something has changed with BT Infinity FTTC. High Ping spikes when streaming video

I cannot say for certain when this change took place. Sometime towards Christmas last year. First noticed when the gf was watching netflix and I would try playing some online games, that they were almost unplayable. Huge lag spikes. Dota 2 shows some live network stats and I could see my ping go from 30-40 > 250-400 every couple of seconds. 

I've been tearing my hair out trying to resolve this and had BT check out line. last month. Now the BT Engineer said he found a fault at the cabinet and this has been cleared by I can still see the same issues whenever video stream is being played. 

In fact if I load up Twitch now on my PC (hard-wired) and do a simple ping test, I can show you what I mean. 

These 2 tests, were taken 1 minute apart. Just simply twitch stream on and twitch stream off. 

Ping while streaming videoPing while streaming video

Ping with no video streamingPing with no video streaming

What the hell is going on? What has changed with the BT connection to cause this? 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Re: Latency Issue- Ping Jitter While Gaming

Just another 2 months or so and then I can leave my contract. Look at the state of this connection. 

pinging google with a single twitch stream open on a roughly 50Mbps connection. I changed the interval to 0.5 seconds about a minute into the test and then you can see the instant I close the stream. Absolutely horrific connection! 

This connection is not fit for purpose. I hope the Ombudsman hammers them with a fine if this gets investigated properly. 

bt_internet_is_awful.jpg

0 Ratings
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

For comparison. I just played 1 round of pubg but with no stream on.

bt_internet_is_awful2.jpg

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 19

Hi @CAI_007,

Welcome back to the community, thanks for posting.

Sorry that you've been having problems with your connection when gaming and running a steam at the same time.

Would you be able to send me in your account details so that we can look into this issue for you?

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 19

Re: Something has changed with BT Infinity FTTC. High Ping spikes when streaming video

Hi @CAI_007,

It looks like the fault has been fixed by the broadband engineer who visited the property. 

Can you confirm if you are still experiencing Ping spikes?

Matt 

0 Ratings
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Re: Something has changed with BT Infinity FTTC. High Ping spikes when streaming video

Just posting what I messaged Matt in PM. The issue with ping spikes is not fixed.

Wanted to leave it a few days so that the line would be settled. Engineer said the line is in perfect condition. He could see their was a fault for 4-5 days in the middle of August which is why the connection speed was lowered by 50%, in order to stablise it. He could not say what had caused the fault. The equipment outside is not that old, relatively new housing estate. Plus i'm about 60 second walk away from the telephone exchange. Anyway, he increased the line back to it's full potential and run speed tests. Was showing 70mbps down and 18 mbps up. 

This is ping plotter from a single netflix stream running in the background this evening. As you can see, jitter on the connection, ping spikes etc. 

bt_ping_spike_netflix.jpg

0 Ratings
hurleh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Yep ive had this since xmas too, apparently BT have recognised the fault and are currently investigating it which who knows how long that will take I hope it gets fixed asap Its impossible to play with sometimes...

0 Ratings
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

So it looks like Matt has managed to get my connection going through a slightly different route through the BT network. 

This is a new traceroute below, while the GF is watching netflix. I also played a full match of Dota while she was streaming.

5 less hops too. Much more stable connection:

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 19

@CAI_007 wrote:

So it looks like Matt has managed to get my connection going through a slightly different route through the BT network. 

This is a new traceroute below, while the GF is watching netflix. I also played a full match of Dota while she was streaming.

5 less hops too. Much more stable connection:

clipboard_image_0.png

Glad to hear that the connection is looking more stable now. 

Are you happy that this fault is now resolved or would you like to leave the case open and test the connection again in a week or so?

Matt

0 Ratings