Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Sonoff WiFi switch issues

Hi folks,
I'm having issues connecting my Sonoff WiFi switch to my BT whole home WiFi system. The Sonoff switch will only connect to a 2.4ghz network and is refusing to connect to my BT system with it being a combined 2.4ghz & 5ghz network.
Would be grateful for some advice.
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Sonoff WiFi switch issues

have you split the networks in your hub ensuring that 2.4/5ghz have different SSID

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

@imjollyI wasn't aware you could do that. I thought that because it was a mesh WiFi system it's meant to just have one SSID for both frequencies? Hmmm.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
IanD2
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Did you sort your issue? I've just bought some Sonoff plugs today and am having the same issue !

Thanks

Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

No, I didn't get any further with the problem. I kinda gave up. If you have any success I'd be interested in hearing from you. Good luck!
IanD2
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Hi there, I just found the info below on another website for a similar sonoff product. I have a BT SMart Hub, so will be doing this sometime this weekend ! Bit of a faff as will have to connect to my BT Hub via ethernet to do it - the wifi is currently disabled as I have the wholehome. Looks like a bit of a faff, but worth it...

"The slight pain as someone else mentioned is having to disable your 5G WiFi network, i have the BT Wholehome system and you can't disable the 5G. Had to turn that off completely and enable the 2.4G on my Virgin router and duplicate the Wholehome network name & password on that. Connected them all to that network and then disable the Virgin router wireless and restart the Wholehome one and it connected perfectly."

0 Ratings
Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Did you get any further with this?
Thanks.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 8 of 12

Hi, there's a thread on same topic with a workaround solution here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Smart-Devices-Only-Work-on-2-4-GHz/m-p/1903131#M6951

Device expertBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks BrunoN for adding the link.

Despite sounding quite complicated, it took me max 10 mins to use the renamed router network to set up the devices and then revert everything back to how it was.

It's really bizarre that the devices can see the 2.4ghz network in routine use, but not when being set up.

0 Ratings
Shawy2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I'm pleased you got to the bottom of the problem. I'm yet to try the solution but will try to find the time today. Will this still allow the 5ghz band to work on the BT whole home system afterwards?
0 Ratings