cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Sony TV won't connect to internet

Go to solution

Hi, I have a Sony smart TV and a BT TV box pro and BT router. The BT box is connected and that works fine. If I turn the box off  I have no connection to the internet to my TV . When I go my TV network and internet is says that I am connected but no internet. It also says signal strength is excellent, except it isn't! When I click YouTube for instance I get 'can't connect right now' message, it's the same for Google play.  Also the TV clock is incorrect so it definitely isn't connected.

The ethernet cable is plugged into the  Sony TV and BT router. It worked a few weeks ago. My main reason I need the TV connected is I like to mirror from my tablet to the TV.

Help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sony TV won't connect to internet

Go to solution

I've just done a quick Google search and it looks like you have to disable WiFi in the TV network settings and delete any saved networks if you're using Ethernet

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

You need to connect both your TV and the BT TV box to the BT router or via an Ethernet Switch so that they have their own independent connection to the Internet. 

Once you have done that if you are still not connected try a soft reset of the Sony TV by holding the remote green power button down for 10 seconds then release. The TV will soft reset and should connect to the BT hub.

See this thread for more information.

Re: Novice question - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you I will try both suggestions

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The soft reset on the TV worked. Clock changed and I can now cast from my tablet to TV. 

So now my BT box is not working. The blue light is on and when I press the BT control the light flashes , so it is receiving a signal. The BT control power button works, but that's it.

My BT box is connected to  TV via HDMi and it's also connected to the BT router.  The BT box is connected to the TV via HDMi. I am not using the ethernet cable and the TV confirm WiFi and internet connection with strong signal

Im sorry if I'm being dim here, but I can't see why!. Probably starring at me!

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I've reset the BT box and I'm all connected 

Thank you for all your help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Sounds like a conflict on the TV and it didn't know whether to use WiFi or Ethernet but glad you got it sorted.

0 Ratings