Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Win10User
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Sony Tv refuses to keep connection

Go to solution

I have a problem with BT Infinity unlimited staying connected to my Sony Bravia tv (KD49XE8004). The tv will remain connected for a couple of days, then it will not be able to connect to the HH6. The tv is connected by an Ethernet cable to the HH6. Once the tv refuses to connect I have to reboot the HH6 AND turn the tv of at the mains for the tv to connect to the internet again. I was previously with sky BB (non fibre, using a Netgear DGND4000 instead of skys modem/router), and never had a problem with the tv connecting to the internet. The problem has only started when switching from Sky to BT.

When logging into the router, and clicking on the “My network” box. I can see a list of all my connections (wired and wireless). The connection for the tv shows the IP address used by the tv and its mac address. When the tv is working, the icon is green, when it isn’t the icon is grey. I have a desktop and a wifi access point connect via Ethernet cable and neither of these two devices have a problem. Whenever I turn these two on, they connect without problems. Its just the tv that has a problem keeping its connection.

When I have used wifi to connect the tv to the internet this has worked fine, even when the tv wont connect to via Ethernet cable. I have only used wifi a couple of times, but never had a problem with it. However I have not left wifi on for a couple of days.

Things I have tried to resolve the issue (none have worked)

Different port on the HH6.

Test Ethernet cable using a cable tester (cable is fine)

Changed the lease time of the IP address to 21 days

Changed the lease time of the IP address to 14 days

Default lease time (1 day) also doesn’t work

Assigned a static IP address on the router (192.168.1.10, this is outside the DHCP server address range), then set the tv to use a static ip address.

Does anyone have an ideas on what I can try to get the tv to stay connected? Anything I can check? I am not very technically minded, so any help would be appreciated. I have done what I can with my limited knowledge.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sony Tv refuses to keep connection

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I think you have tried everything I would have suggested, its probably just the HH6, people do seem to have issues with this. I have my own theories about what causes this, based on my past experience of home hubs.

A factory reset of the home hub, followed by disabling Smart Setup, can help for a while.

I no longer use a BT Home hub, as I have wasted too much time sorting out the issues.

0 Ratings
Win10User
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the welcome and your reply Keith.

I forgot to add those to my list of things I have tried, I knew I would forget to add something. I have factory reset the HH6 and have disabled smart setup.

One other thing I am going to try, is use my old netger DGND4000 as an access point. So will connect a cable from the HH6 into the DGND4000, and then a cable from DGND4000 to the tv. I will have to disable the DHCP sever on the DGND4000.

One good thing about the HH6 - its improved my level of knowledge of networks, cabling, router config etc. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I cannot see that what you are going to try, will make any difference, as connectivity is still via the home hub.

My only other suggestion, would be to try a different router, you can get one for £30 locally, and can always return it if it does not fix the problem.

Its the same one I use, and have lots of things connected to it, including an Amazon Fire TV stick, mobile phones, Android tablets, and next door, who use the guest network, has all Apple devices, and they also connect without any issues.

I have a number of wired devices including two computers, a NAS (Network attached Storage) device, plus a number of CCTV cameras.

0 Ratings
Win10User
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

One of the reasons why I am trying the DGND4000 router is because I have it handy. I guess at this point I am cluthcing at straws, as I dont want to spend extra money on a new router. For the sake of 30mins setup time, its worth a try if it saves me some money on buying a new modem/router.

The other reason for connecting the DGND4000 is I am going to use it as a wifi access point, so will improve the wifi signal in the lounge and kitchen.

0 Ratings
Win10User
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Just to give an update on my situation.

Since connecting the HH6 to my DGND4000 router my tv hasnt lost its connection once. Which is good news. This got me thinking into why the HH6 kept losing connection, whilst my DGND4000 doesnt.

I looked through the technical logs in the HH6, and noticed that the tv (I am assuming it was the tv) was always disconnecting and connecting to the HH6. There was a connect disconnect entry in the log every few seconds. This was when the tv was connected to the HH6 directly. Which didnt look right to me. When checking through the event log for days when the tv was connected to the DGND4000, there were no connect/disconnect entries. It seems to me the DGND4000 handles these request differently from the HH6. Or the HH6 just cant cope with so many requests coming through. Either way it seems I have solved the problem for me.

Just to clarify my setup for others that may also have the same issue. I have the HH6 connect via Ethernet cable to a netgear DGND4000 modem/router. I have disabled the DHCP server on the DGND4000. In the HH6 I have given the DGND4000 and tv a static IP address that is outside of the range of assignable addresses in the HH6. In the DGND4000 and tv I have assigned them the same static ip address. Although I dont think I need to assign a static IP address to the tv. I have connected the tv via Ethernet cable to the DGND4000.

I have a feeling the issue is with the HH6, and if you bought yourself another router compatible with BT BB, then you wouldnt need a secondary device like I have. I was going to buy the TP-Link Archer VR900 v2. I checked the price on amazon and it was £95. I then went back the next day to order it and it had shot up to £109. So decided against buying it, especially as my current setup works.

If things stop working I will post back here to let you guys know.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
A lot of devices can't cope with the homehubs constantly changing WiFi channels. Nearly all of the WiFi issues I have sorted for friends,family, mates etc have always been solved by using a static WiFi channel.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings