Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sammatthews
Beginner
Message 1 of 59

Specific youtube videos won't play

Go to solution

Recently, some videos on youtube will not play at all and will instead buffer endlessly. However, for most other videos they play perfectly fine. Ive tried these same videos using my 4G connection and they load normally. Any ideas on what is causing this and potential fixes? Thanks

0 Ratings
58 REPLIES 58
Zam
Message 2 of 59

Re: Specific youtube videos won't play

Go to solution

I have the same problem. Half the videos I try won't load. If I connect through a vpn or 4g on my mobile they work fine.

0 Ratings
BorisG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 59

Go to solution
I have the same problem. I found this thread whilst looking for an answer. I found elsewhere it might be a DNS problem.

I also can play all videos if I use my iPhone and 4G as my internet connection.

I tried rebooting my homehub several times to try and get a different IP allocated and it worked for 5 mins but then nothing worked!! After another reboot I'm back to "normal" BUT still can watch about 50% of YouTube videos.

Hey BT can you help??
0 Ratings
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 4 of 59

Go to solution

This is an issue with the BT network.

ive had the problem for a week or two now but ONLY on my iPhone 6S and iPad 9.7" Pro. My iPad will only play certain videos whilst others play fine.

i have been testing with my iPhone though, on WiFi it doesn't work, I turn WFi iff and on my Tesco Mobile connection it plays fine, no matter what video it is that doesn't play and it happens every single time!

I have also tested my phone at work today and in its WiFi it had absolutely no problems at all.

My Sony Android tablet will play the videos but takes a while to load them.

I have reset all settings and network settings, reinstalled the You Tube app multiple times, restarted and powered off and on multiple times.

Tonight I have turned off and unplugged my Netgear Orbi wireless system, turned back in the WiFi on my Home Hub 5, tested on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands separately and still the exact same problem, I have also unplugged my Home Hub 5 long enough to get a new IP address and the same issue.

And  lastly I have now connected my bT SmartHub and again still the exact same issue!!!

It has to bt a BT network fault because on my woks WiFi my iPhone plays ALL You Tube videos ansolutely fine.....

ill switch providers when my contract runs out, this is ridiculous and I have never known a fault like it!

I just get the spinning loading circle on the video endlessly..

BorisG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 59

Go to solution
Agreed. It's a problem only BT can fix.

Tonight I used my iPhone as a wireless hotspot using 4G and I could play ALL YouTube videos on my phone and using my Apple TV paired to my iPhone wifi hotspot.

But with using wifi and homehub I can only play about 50% of YouTube videos I want to play.

This sucks!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tularis
Message 6 of 59

Go to solution

I have this issue too!!

Certain Videos are stuck on loading on my iPad and iPhone but are fine on 4g.

The Videos take a while to load on PC but eventually play.

I was just about to post this issue and found this thread. Does anyone know if/when BT are going to fix this issue?

I'm thinking about changing ISPs if this is not fixed soon.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Tularis
Message 7 of 59

Go to solution

Amazing responce from BT:

Live Assistance

Pradeep: Peter, as I have checked it could be due to BT policies like copyright issues from the youtube videos , content not appropriate or blocked from the youtube network from video providers and we cannot do anything on this

Live Assistance
Pradeep: BT Server does allow some content and may be they are one of them
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 59

Go to solution

Hi,

Spent a bit of time checking youtube videos over the last few days and everything I tried plays fine.

If you can post a couple of links to the ones you can't play then we could check and see if there is an issue somewhere.

If you don't want to post the links publicly then send a couple to me by PM.

0 Ratings
Tularis
Message 9 of 59

Go to solution

Hey,

Here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPDcVCRkON0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KtlAzy56U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvwdIHnbH7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70d6LBXw3o0

These "eventually" play back on my PC in Chrome but they take 5mins to load.

They will NEVER playback on my iPhone or iPAD connect to the BT WiFi

On 4g they are perfect.

It seems to be newly uploaded videos prehaps to a new Youtube server BT can't access and iOS app can't re-route to?

BT Support has been laughably unhelpfull

0 Ratings
BorisG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 59

Go to solution
Pradeep's response above is EXACTLY the reason I have not used Live Assistance. And I work every single day with teams in India and have done for over 10 years of my 25 in telecoms. It's exactly the type of superficial response that drives me mad. No thought to get to the real underlying issue. Just looking for a quick fix.

Here's an example of a vid that does NOT play for me over homehub but works fine over 4G:

https://youtu.be/cQtFoTWKa9o
0 Ratings