cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Speed to hub dropping

Hi

I have (what I think is) an unusual issue with my bt broadband. We have had several issues over the past couple of months with broadband speed but BT seemed to have ironed them out finally. The problem I have now is that my speed to the hub is fine until I switch on my desktop computer, the speed to the hub drops to 2-3mb/s and sometimes drops off completely. I have read about random electrical interference but have not found an answer as to how to cure the problem. I am using the latest hub which has already been replaced. As I said the speed to the hub is effected not the device. Hopefully someone can give me some advice as my pc is unusable without the Internet connection. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Speed to hub dropping

If you are seeing your hub connection speed change then your hub must be dropping connection and then reconnecting at a changed speed. Are you pc and hub connected to same power outlet or an extension cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 16

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

No the hub and the pc are at opposite ends of the house (pc upstairs and hub downstairs).

Every device works fine until I switch on the pc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Is you hub dropping connection?  You speed will only change when hub drops connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 16

@Paulp1001 wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

No the hub and the pc are at opposite ends of the house (pc upstairs and hub downstairs).

@Paulp1001 

How are they connected together?

Message 6 of 16

Sometimes the the hub disconnects but not every as far as I can tell. I check using the bt speed checker, it normally drops to 2mb/s snd as soon as I switch off the pc the speed returns to normal. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Connected via WiFi. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@Paulp1001 wrote:

Connected via WiFi. 

That`s fine, its usually powerline adapters that cause problems. In your case its possibly wireless interference, or the usual "smart setup" problem, which has been mentioned many times on this forum.

The other thing that can drop the connection, is an attempt to upload a large file, when the PC starts up, as that can overload the wireless on the home hub.

Message 9 of 16

Would wireless interference affect the speed to the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@Paulp1001 wrote:

Would wireless interference affect the speed to the hub?

It should not affect the main broadband connection.

Its possible of course that your PC is causing radio frequency interference which is causing your broadband connection to drop.

You would need to post home hub connection information, both before, and after turning on your PC, to see if its affecting the noise margin.