cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Speeds are slower than usual

So I have recently travelled home from university.

Started using the internet on my desktop. And realised it is very slow.

I decided to do a speed test. The results I got were 3mbps down and 3mbps up.

I know something is wrong because the internet speed is usually a consistent 12mbps down.

We also upgraded to a bt smart hub a couple of months ago.

Any suggestions? Thank you 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Speeds are slower than usual

did you try a simple hub reset see if that helps

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

I turned off smart setup and that hasn’t solved the issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Did you try a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash?
in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Yeah I did do a factory reset and unfortunately that did nothing either. I did see on my technical log my current data rate vs my max data rate which is really accurate to the speeds I had before.

08AF169D-1E95-4CD9-A57B-3A525CF4338F.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

quiet line test?

dslchecker results?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Personally, I don't know what I am looking at here. But here is a screenshot of the DSL checker.dsl checker.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@zibbitty 

Is your phone line working, as your speed is well below what is expected, even the last observed speed is low.

That is normally caused by a disconnected phone line with no dial tone on it.

Plug a phone in and see if you get dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

the phone line is working fine, however using a landline, there are occasional bits of static through the dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@zibbitty wrote:

the phone line is working fine, however using a landline, there are occasional bits of static through the dial tone.

Then that is probably the cause of the poor connection speed. A better check is to dial 17070 and select option 2. There should be no noise between the announcements.

Its  best if you check at the test socket first, before you report the noisy phone line, just in case its an internal fault.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

Posted with device: google_chrome_86

0 Ratings