cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikerophone
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Spikes in packet loss.

I play online video games and have been experiencing really bad ping spikes and lag in general, and I have run a ping plotter test and there are some clear packet loss spikes, has anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

Mikerophone_0-1579449374302.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Spikes in packet loss.

@Mikerophone 

Have you checked for noise on your phone line, as that will cause problems?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

once you have confirmed the phone as above is there any chance of the full pic of the ping plotter.

how are you testing this wired or wireless?

what length of time are you running the plot and what other devices are on when you see the spikes?

Are you gaming with a wired connection?

Are you seeing the effects in one particular game or in general?

0 Ratings
Mikerophone
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Ha, funnily enough I am a student and don't own a home phone xd so dont know how i would check that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@Mikerophone wrote:

Ha, funnily enough I am a student and don't own a home phone xd so dont know how i would check that.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband and cause latency.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your packet loss.

Also please answer the questions that @Stu_H  asked.

Which BT Home hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Mikerophone
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

The test is being run on a wired connection, it was about 10 minutes i think. I also game on a wired connection, noticed particularly in Rocket Leaugue due to how server sided it is i imagine.

Mikerophone_0-1579452347144.png

0 Ratings
Mikerophone
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Ok thanks will look into this 🙂
0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

50ms spike is just about ok, round trip looks good too. 
if your round trip was high or you had spikes above 100ms hitting well above it might well show up. 
I get the odd spike here and there, you always get the odd one with devices working away. 
Some times it’s servers their side rather than yours but a small spike of 50ms should be fine. 

0 Ratings
Mikerophone
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

i did the test after closing my game while it was lagging so it is substantial enough to cause lag. I spoke to my housemate who plays rocket league on ps4 over wifi and he isnt suffering with any lag at any point of the day so i think it might be something to do with my pc. I open task manager and nothing is using the network so not sure what the problem is.
0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I would do as Keith suggested and test the line. If it was spiking higher I would say yes, there’s a thread showing latency issues that’s worth a look at. 
If the line sounds ok it’s worth checking all cables in case there’s an issue there. 
Could even be down to the router.

I don’t game on a PC anymore so sadly can’t help with PC stuff. I’m a Mac chap thats using is for my business only.

I take it you have turned Off the router and modem if separate  and waited for 10mins then tried. 

0 Ratings