Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arvo2
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Static IP Issues

Go to solution

Hey there,

I have been having some issues working from home. My work involves connecting to a azure database which only allows certain IP's and since my IP is dynamic, I get booted off regularly.

It seems I need a static IP. I cant find any settings on my router to remedy this. I have a "Fibre Broadband (VDSL)" connection and a "BT Hub 6A" router.

What is the best solution to this issue? Cheers.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Static IP Issues

Go to solution

BT residential don't offer a static IP, you need a business service to get one. Can you get by with a DDNS service?

0 Ratings
Arvo2
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I have setup a DDNS over at https://www.dynu.com/en-US

I just let it use the default IP. Will this work do you think?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thinking about it, if you are initiating the connection rather than your office connecting to you, it will be their firewall that will be configured for specific IP addresses so DDNS won't work. You need to talk to your IT guys.

0 Ratings
Arvo2
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Yes sadly that's what I assumed. Thanks for the confirmation though. Is there a way to upgrade my current broadband to get the 1 static IP without letting somebody into the house and not paying an extra £36 a month?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The letting in the house, yes, the extra cost, no. Your IP shouldn't change that often.

0 Ratings
Arvo2
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your help 🙂

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Your IP address should only change if you get a disconnection, or restart the home hub, so perhaps that is the problem?

0 Ratings
spec_d
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
I have the same problem. Up until 26th March the IP had been unchanged for at least a year, now it has changed twice in 2 weeks.
The hub event log shows <<01:16:22, 09 Apr. :A device reset was performed. Reason SAAF(5)>>
Looking at old forum posts, the suggestion was that the residential element of BB/phone could be swapped for a static business IP at a cost. Does anyone have any newer info on this and likely costs?
0 Ratings