cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kanthamohan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Static IP - Why does BT not do this for residential customers

It is not a choice to have an IP address to use the internet, however having a static IP address is.  With more customers staying connected 24 x 7  a case based on 'reusing' IP addresses alone does not hold true any more. So why not have the option of obtaining a static IP address for those that need it? 

As a customer, I understand the security implications of having a static IP and  I am always connected to the internet (meaning I need 'a' IP all the time), so why not give me a permanent IP rather than suggesting I switch to Plusnet (reasonable one-off fee) or to BT business broadband that has a whopping per month fee  for the privilege? 

Is BT being arrogant, not listening to customer need?  I would like to understand what perhaps is the reasoning for BT to not offer this to its residential customers (well also rip business customers)?  Any thoughts anyone? 

Note: If you have not guessed it already, I am referring to a public IPv4 address here,  I wish IPv6 were here. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Static IP - Why does BT not do this for residential customers

very few residential customers would not even know what an IP address is least of all if was static or dynamic you need to remember most users just use a connection for basic internet use
0 Ratings
Craigside
Message 3 of 13

Hi, why not just use DDNS? it's an easy and effectivel workaround for most situations? I use DynDNS for this...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Don't worry, we'll all be on IPv6 this time next year and you can have as many IP addresses as you want!! pig2.GIF

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Hi

I believe its something to do with the bt wholesale dedicated product, which issues IP's at the BRAS level. I'm told BT Business uses a type of L2TP  that allows IP's to be issued differently.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@Barry57 wrote:

Hi

I believe its something to do with the bt wholesale dedicated product, which issues IP's at the BRAS level. I'm told BT Business uses a type of L2TP  that allows IP's to be issued differently.

?????

IP adresses are IP addresses and are in short supply. Residential customers on the whole don't need static IP addresses.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 7 of 13

Its nothing to do with availablity, on why btretail don't offer static ip's.

Its due to how the  BTWholesale "Dedicated"  product is delivered at BRAS/MSAN level. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

If you say so

0 Ratings
kanthamohan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

I do not think it is all down to availability of ipv4 addresses.  As I stated before if I am connected all the time , I need an IP address assigned to me all the time and the question is why can't this just be static.  

Anyway it would appear there is no incentive for BT in doing this,  but if that is how BT wants to play it then it is a blocker to new players entering with such new services unfortunately, I don't sit on the ofcom board/committee/whatever. Smiley Happy

Does anyone know what addressing scheme BT are trailing with IPV6 is it a /64 network or a /56 (as I have heard with sky)  when it does eventually arrive?  I use  a /48 from TunnelBroker and hope I dont have to redesign  the whole network when BT offers native ipv6. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Bt have not published anything but there is another thread here  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-IPv6-Rollout-Subnet-Size/td-p/1599428

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.