cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbarty
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Strange BB usage.

This must have been asked a million times.

I'm a pensioner on BT Basic and I rarely ever get near to my 12GB limit. When I checked my usage meter yesteday I saw that I'd used 4.25GB in four days. Then on checking the daily meter I saw that I'd downloaded 2500MB in one day! But of course, I say, I did no such thing.

I've racked my brains, checked my history, recieved files, updates and run AdwCleaner etc. But no, it was just another boring day of amazon, ebay, news and sudokus.

The meter shows my average daily usage is around 300MB. On Tuesday it was 300MB, Wednesday 2500MB, and Thursday 250MB. Clearly this month I will end up going way over my 12GB limit.

So the question is, is there any way of finding out where this extra 2225MB download came from? I somehow think that I would receive short shrift if I was to suggest that BT's metering might be at fault.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Strange BB usage.

If you have a computer with Windows 10 on it, then that could be downloading updates which are very large.

See https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the...

0 Ratings
mrbarty
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, good point. But I'm still hanging on to my old if it ain't broke XP. 🙂

0 Ratings
mrbarty
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I don't understand why my technical question about finding the source of a download has been moved to Billing & Packages. Apart from my mentioning that it will make me go over my monthly limit, the problem has little if anything to do with billing or packages, so surely I am much less likely to receive helpful replies with it here than I would have had it been left in its original place?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

You thought it might be a billing issue, and the excess download was not caused by you.

I will move it to the general broadband board, if you are happy its not an error on BTs billing.

As for XP, there are plenty of openings for hackers, even if you have XP SP3.

Moving it now.

0 Ratings