cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sweetbaboo99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Streaming BT TV content (especially 4K) prevents Sky Q mini box for connecting to internet.

Go to solution

Looking for some guidance/inspiration!

Set up.

BT SmartHub 6, Infinity 2 Broadband (76Mb)  BT TV Youview Max box connected to hub via ethernet, Sky Q 2TB, Sky Q minis

My problem is this..whenever I stream (I don’t use an external aerial) BT TV content, usually 4K sport but also HD my Sky Q mini box fails to function as it cannot connect to the internet. I appreciate the Sky Q mini operates over Wi-fi but even BT 4K content should take no more than 44Mbps and I am usually running at full 76Mbps availability. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Are there hub settings that need changing? Desperate for a resolution to this. It is very frustrating that should I wish to have the football on in the lounge through BT TV that my wife is then unable to watch anything on the Sky platform anywhere else in the house. In simple terms, I cannot understand or fathom why my Infinity 2 Broadband is failing to cope with streaming to the BT Youview box AND provide enough left over capacity to stream from the Sky Q main box to the mini which certainly does not need anything like 30Mbps  

I am hoping there is straightforward answer to this because purely watching BT Sports should not render other home entertainment systems unusable.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
waterdoctor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Streaming BT TV content (especially 4K) prevents Sky Q mini box for connecting to internet.

Go to solution

I have exactly the same issue; posted on various message boards and no "expert" has been able to come up with a sensible answer.

The sky q box basically freezes and stops sending via the sky mesh to the sky mini. Both my sky q and bt youview are connected via cat7 and a static ip so the network should not conflict.

I have split the 2.4 and 5ghz  bands in the bt homehub and set the 5ghz band to channel 44 (the sky q 5 band is set to 36). In sky q I have turned off the 2.4 ghz band (not required using the ethernet connection).

While watching streamed content via the bt youview, other internet connections are basically unable to connect (one to raise with BT) but the config above is allowing the sky mini to be viewed at the same time!

0 Ratings
Sweetbaboo99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Streaming BT TV content (especially 4K) prevents Sky Q mini box for connecting to internet.

Go to solution
Thanks for commenting. It is ridiculously infuriating that using a Youview box in effect eliminates use of the Sky Q system. I have to reboot the Sky Q main box when I have finished with the Youview box to get it to work. I wish someone out there would be able to answer this problem. I tried various things like not routing both boxes through my AV Amp and that made no difference. I tried altering channels and adjusted the frequency of the router settings...made no difference either. All I want is to watch streamed BT content and still allow use of the other media system (Sky) at the same time in other rooms whilst using Infinity 2 at 76Mb. In 2018, is that expecting too much? I personally don’t think so. If you ever have any joy in resolving this, I would be more than delighted to hear back.

KRs
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Without knowing how your devices are set up I'll tell you how I fixed my son's exact same problem.

BT Sport uses multicast to broadcast the programs & that can flood other devices like Sky Q. It seems to affect the main box , preventing it from sending wireless transmissions to the mini boxes.

My son's set up is as follows:-

Router in the upstairs study with ethernet cable to the downstairs lounge with the TV, Youview box & Sky Q box all connected via a Netgear gigabit switch.

There are 3 mini boxes in the bedrooms with 2 of those connected by the Sky Q wifi system.

As you've experienced the wireless connected mini boxes fail to receive anything when the Youview box is receiving any IPTV channels, primarily BT Sport.

I simply solved his problem by replacing the Netgear switch with a TP-Link one that supports IGMP Snooping, basically sending the IPTV data stream to the port that requested it, namely the Youview box, not flooding all devices. The unit I used was an TL-SG105  , about £15 on Amazon.

Hope that helps.

Sweetbaboo99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Many thanks for this. I do use a Netgear switch so that may be the problem. I cannot remember without revisiting the connectivity how I set it all up but the resolution you have found MAY (hopefully) work for me. I have just ordered an 8 port version on the managed (Easy Smart) TP-Link switch that you referred to. I will post back here to advise the outcome once I have received the unit and had time to swap it out with the Netgear. Thanks again...in hopeful anticipation.

Chris
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I'm sure that the TP-Link will fix the problem but the managed unit is perhaps an overkill. Be aware that it's not plug&play as you need to set it's IP address as the default is 192.168.0.1.

As for the settings you only really need to ensure that IGMP Snooping is enabled unless you want to get clever with multiple VLANs. Personally I haven't bothered with that/couldn't figure it out. I've 2 of these btw.

0 Ratings
Sweetbaboo99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Ok thanks. Is the I.P address for the switch set at ‘fixed’ (once allocated) in the BT Smarthub settings?

Cheers
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

You can either set the switch to a permanent IP address within the switch or let the router assign it via DHCP. I have never used a HomeHub but it should allow for it assigning/reserving an IP address.

I use an Asus & for most of my devices I set the device itself to the IP address I want & then add that to a fixed table within the router. Then if I remove the IP address from the device itself & switch to DHCP the router will assign the address from the fixed table.

The HH should work similarly I'd hope.

0 Ratings
Sweetbaboo99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Well, after a great deal of fannying around I think I have got there. The time consuming part was trying to identify the switch and access the TP-Link Web GUI which was a bit of a pain. This was primarily down to the fact that  I was unable to locate the switch’s I.P address of 192.168.0.1 either in the Home Hub interface or on the web. I EVENTUALLY resolved this by connecting the switch directly to my Mac which is in a different part of the house. This enabled me to get into the TP-Link interface to find......that the snooping was already on!! If only I’d realised this I could have saved a lot of grief.

Anyway, I then reconnected the switch to my router and attached all of the kit which obviously includes the Sky Q and Youview boxes. I turned on the Youview box, tuned to Channel 433 (BT Sport 4K) and was delighted to find that the Sky Q mini carried on working! Early days yet but I am cautiously optimistic that your suggested solution seems to have done the trick for which I am very appreciative. I now have hope that next season I’ll be able to watch the Premiership football in 4K on BT whilst my wife will also be able to watch Sky in another room simultaneously. 

Many thanks for your help!!

Chris

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thought it would be the solution for you, glad I could help.

BTW had you got the SG108 instead of the SG108E that would have been a straight replacement for the Netgear  with no messing about & for most the unmanaged version is adequate.

0 Ratings