cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benwild
Message 1 of 8

Struggling... still.... after hours!

Hi,

I recently installed my new BT hub. After some pratting around, I got online.

However, for any page from Google search page (and many other addresses) instead of going where I asked to go, I am taken to this URL("Welcome to BT Hub"):

http://192.168.1.254/pc-step0.html?

This despite the fact that I AM connected to the internet - the light is nblue and there are no extra lights. I have logged on to Instagram, Facebook and Google Photos, all without incident but if I try many other pages (such as clicking visit page on any Google search page) I am taken here.

Annoying but it get's worse.

This then leads me into a loop. I cannot ignore the page, as then I am severely restricted in my internet use and the websites I can visit. My only option is to click <GET STARTED>

I am then taken to this URL:

http://192.168.1.254/pc-step1.html

Again, if I cancel it, I am restricted as to what sites I can visit. Worse though, if I click <DOWNLOAD> the following message appears:

This site can’t be reached

pbttbc.bt.motive.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

• Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

If I click get help online I go back to the first page "Welcome to BT Hub")

And around and around we go.

Can anyone provide me with some clarity please?

PS. the contents of this message were changed by the BT system as it contained an invalid link (it told me) but I knew this, it is kind of the point. Instead I have included a set of screenshots numbered 1 to 6 that show the progression of the loop in which I am stuck....

PPS. When I was trying to add the photos, again the script promopt appeared telling me I could not post these pictures as they contained an adress that was  no longer valid. I can only hope they appear and show enough for some clever soul to assist.... Please?bt loop 1 (640x360).jpgbt loop 2 (640x360).jpgbt loop 3 (640x360).jpgbt loop 4 (640x360).jpgbt loop 5 (640x360).jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
rjpreston
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Struggling... still.... after hours!

Log in to the hub http://192.168.1.254 and switch off 'Smart Setup'. You might need the hub password (not the wifi password to do this - I can't remember)
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 3 of 8

@rjpreston wrote:
Log in to the hub http://192.168.1.254 and switch off 'Smart Setup'. You might need the hub password (not the wifi password to do this - I can't remember)

I'd of said the same thing. First thing I did when I got my hub was turn off smart set up. @benwild@ @ Your hub password will be on the pullout card on the hub.

0 Ratings
benwild
Message 4 of 8

Thank you to you both.

I followed the link posted above to the router log in. Logged in fine. 

I could not see any option to disable the smart hub. 

I clicked through advanced settings that said if you cannot find what you are looking for, click on a-z and type. When I clicked that it took me - guess where.... yep, back to the page thatr leads me a merry loop.

Where is the Smart hub disable option please? (And yes, I am probably being thick.)

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Hi @benwild if your using the smart hub it's on the main page,  mine is grayed out as it's off. Click on smart set up and move the slider to off..Screenshot_2017-07-26-14-33-02.png

Screenshot_2017-07-26-14-32-38.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Zombie
Expert
Message 7 of 8

I forgot to add make sure you click save when you have turned it off.

0 Ratings
RuthL
Message 8 of 8

I'd like to thank you all for this thread. I got stuck in this loop a couple of nights ago after BT sent us a new router (previous one exploded in a thunderstorm) Until I found the thread I thought that this was a bad virus attack that had got through my software as there was no way out of it despite all the normal proceedures. Scarey!

Although none of the fixes on this page worked as I simply ended up back at the rogue page, I managed to start an on-line chat with BT and sent them the link to this thread as it described the problem so accurately and had all the screen shots. It took them around 15 minutes and needed a restart of the router, but they switched Smart Setup from their end and it vanished and everything worked normally. Such a relief.

0 Ratings