Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Struggling to enable IPv6 through TP Link Archer A7

Hi all,

I've recently bought a TP Link Archer A7 router to replace my ageing Home Hub 3. I'm using it with the originally supplied Openreach modem that came with the Home Hub 3.

I'm connected to BT over PPPoE using the standard login details I'm sure you've seen a million times, and through that I've managed to get internet connectivity over IPv4 working flawlessly. Once all that was sorted I decided to try and enable IPv6 since the router supports it but that has not gone well.

I've enabled IPv6 on the router and set PPPoE as the connection type, using the same login details as for IPv4. Originally this did not even seem to generate an IP address for me, so I switched everything over to Google's DNS servers which means that I now get assigned an IP address on the router page, but none of my devices can see or access it.

I've seen reports online of TP Link routers assigning a /64 prefix when BT requires a /56 but I'm not sure how true that is or whether it's the issue I'm currently having.

The router itself definitely sees a problem as I'm given an error image on the status screen for IPv6 as below:

mjyatess_0-1585248509500.png

I'm not a networking professional by any stretch but seem to have tried everything I can think of, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: Struggling to enable IPv6 through TP Link Archer A7

Bumping this as I'm getting absolutely nowhere!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

IPv6 capability is a bit hit and miss on TP Link devices, you would be better posting on the TP Link Forum. BT require /56 prefix delegation which not all TP Link routers support.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Are you on the latest Firmware?

If not then try updating it, if it still doesnt work on the latest Firmware it probably means they haven't implimented /56 yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yep, latest firmware is installed - first thing I did when I had it set up.
0 Ratings