Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 88

Re: Stumped by high ping spikes

Go to solution

RTT Round Trip Time. Basically how long it takes for the packet to get to the destination and the packet reciept acknowledgement to be sent back.

In simple terms a ping (packet) RTT of say 16ms would be 8ms to get to the destination and 8ms for the packet reciept acknowledgement (ACK) to come back.

BTW by all means come back on Tuesday and repost the stats or anytime you want. There'll always be someone to answer any questions you may have. Now, if you don't mind I'm off to bed.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 88

Go to solution
Okay thanks for the explanation! Yeah I’ll make sure to reply to this thread once I run some more tests on Tuesday. Thanks for the help, I’m also off to bed!
0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 88

Go to solution

Just a quick update, I spoke to the letting agents for my house and they said they'd happily pay for the TD-W9970, I just have to send them the Amazon receipt. Whether or not this is going to fix the issue I don't know but after running some more tests today it does seem the high ping spikes are occuring somewhere down the line and maybe it isn't to do with the Home Hub. Again this test was done over a powerline adapter hence the slight jitter to the router:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 88

Go to solution

If you have other users or devices connected to your broadband, then that will affect the ping times, however with the TP link router, you can give your connection the highest priority (1), and configure the rest to lower priority (5 to 😎

You will need to make sure that your LAN IP address is reserved, as the priority rules are applied to the IP address, or range of addresses.

Example here Priority and bandwidth controls

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 88

Go to solution
Okay that’s a useful feature, wasn’t actually sure if that router had the functionality.

Would this mean I would have to set my computers IP to static?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 88

Go to solution

@Arkadius wrote:
Okay that’s a useful feature, wasn’t actually sure if that router had the functionality.

Would this mean I would have to set my computers IP to static?

There is no need to alter your computer, once you see the IP address you have been allocated, you can then reserve it, so it cannot be allocated to any other device. You will see your MAC address in the DHCP client list.

Look at the emulator https://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/W9970V2_Emulator/index.htm

Under the DHCP reservation menu.

You can do a manual IP allocation on your computer if you wish, but you would need to choose an IP address below the start of the DHCP allocations. (below 192.168.1.100)

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 88

Go to solution
Ahh I see that’s useful! So it’s just easier to use the DHCP reservation method?
0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 88

Go to solution

Question who's dns servers are you using, BT or someone elses?

Here's a pingplot for me to 8.8.8.8, using a HH6a with Superfast Fibre 2 not as longer traces as yours but to give you a comparison.

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 88

Go to solution

@Arkadius wrote:
Ahh I see that’s useful! So it’s just easier to use the DHCP reservation method?

Yes, it works just fine, unlike the home hub which forgets.

If you were implementing parental controls, and did not want the user to manually change their IP address, then you can use the ARP binding option in addition.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 88

Go to solution

The example I give, uses OpenDNS, as I have an account with them so I can log which domains are accessed, and apply any controls.

You can use Google public DNS if you want.

If you leave the DNS to automatic, then you will get BTs DNS servers.

0 Ratings