Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 88

Re: Ping spikes despite new router and engineer visit

Go to solution

Nobody else in the house has set a static IP no, it's just me. If I added bandwith controls within the lower range, would I also have to make sure my IP address was statically set to something within that range as well or could I leave it as 192.168.1.100? But yes a quick check using cmd and 'ipconfig' showed I have been given the correct IP:

Checking the DHCP client list shows three currently connected, but strangely enough I'm not on that list...

Okay I reduced the minimum download/upload speed for the rest of the users to 1000kbps and also reduced the priority down to 7.

The engineer did say we shouldn't be charged anything when he was fixing it, I think mainly because it was due to whoever previously wired up the socket did it incorrectly or something. But I guess we'll just have to see.

So should I just let the line settle a bit more then? Does this mean I can't reset the router at all, because when I asked the engineer he said this shouldn't affect speed/latency at all but other members have said this shouldn't be done.

Is there anyway to forcefully disable interleaving? I've heard it's possible to call up BT and ask them to turn it off.

I guess I'll just keep on using it and see how it performs with, as you said, real usage. Playing some online games earlier I did notice the ping was a lot more consistent, with the occasional fluctuation due to the powerline adaptors I am using. I read something about the TP-Link powerline adaptors interfering with the VSDL line but I'm not sure how much this is true and whether or not it applies to my situation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 88

Go to solution

@Arkadius wrote:

Nobody else in the house has set a static IP no, it's just me. If I added bandwith controls within the lower range, would I also have to make sure my IP address was statically set to something within that range as well or could I leave it as 192.168.1.100? But yes a quick check using cmd and 'ipconfig' showed I have been given the correct IP:

Checking the DHCP client list shows three currently connected, but strangely enough I'm not on that list...

You should be on that list if you have reserved it in the DHCP table. It should be shown as Permanent in the list. If not, then you have configured it wrong. Do not use the IP and MAC binding option, just the DHCP address reservation.

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 88

Go to solution

Okay now I'm showing up, strange...

I removed myself from the IP and MAC binding settings so now my IP is bound only through DHCP address reservation. I also disabled the ARP binding just to be safe as well. Here's what the client list looks like now. The reason there are two instances of me is because a few minutes ago I was testing my connection using one of the WiFi extenders (labelled EX2700 in the list) but as you can see yes I am now permanently binded to the 192.168.1.100 address:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 74 of 88

Go to solution

That looks right now.

Its something to bear in mind if you change your connection to wireless, you will get a different IP address because your MAC address would have changed.

If you do that on a regular basis, then you need to reserve 192.168.1.104 to your computer, and add an aditional bandwidth rule. It gets complicated as you would have to also create two separate rules for 192.168.1.101-103  and 192.168.1.105-253, otherwise the required controls will not apply.

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 88

Go to solution

Nah nah I don't actually use wireless at all it was just a quick test to see what the speed difference was, I always use the powerline adapters. I guess if I've set everything up all I can really do is wait for the line to settle. If that still doesn't solve the problem, I honestly don't know what else there is to try. Everything is apparently fine on BT's end, and I've done all I can for my end so I don't really know where the issue could be stemming from. The only thing I can think of would be the interleaving.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 76 of 88

Go to solution

At least you have full control of connected devices. There are things you can do with the firewall on that router, like blocking certain sites, or restricting users to certain times, but I am sure you would not want to upset the other users Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 88

Go to solution

All I want is consistent ping haha, I would happily trade in half of the download speed for consistent ping with no spikes. I don't really download a lot of stuff but I play a lot of online games and occasionally stream so yeah ping and upload are far more important to me.

Everyone else in the house just uses the internet for streaming netflix, plus it's technically not my internet to put restrictions on (it's a shared house), but the landlord certainly hasn't tried to fix the issue so I guess it's down to me to try and fix it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 78 of 88

Go to solution

I think you will just have to see how it goes. You may find wireless connections for other users are better on that router, as it has a couple of external aerials, which are more effective than the internal aerials of the home hub, which are purely for aesthetic reasons.

0 Ratings
Arkadius
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 88

Go to solution

I agree,  I think a third party router is always a good investment, especially with the amount of people in my house connecting wirelessly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 80 of 88

Go to solution

Don`t forget the Guest wireless network, which is useful for visitors, as you can change the password at regular intervals, without affecting the rest of the users.

0 Ratings