cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
Cooper1990
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Stupidly poor wireless range/strength but wired no problem at all!

Go to solution
Right this is pretty much my first post so i am sorry if i posted in the wrong section...

Right, basically iv had bt infinty for about 2 to 3 years now the first year was fine but the past year or so weve had so much trouble with the wireless strength and range.. i mean that bad that your phone keeps disconnecting when you are sat right next to the router?
BT over the phone didn't do anything about this as you know they make you check your speeds with an ethernet cable so i was getting good speeds as it was wired ect.. no matter how much we told them its the wireless affected and not the wired connection.

But what i wanna know is the engineer left the open reach white box right next to the router on the floor? I have been told they should be as far apart as possible is that right?? And obviously no good having the router on the floor in the first place.. i still have the home hub3 too which i should mention, i don't know if its worth upgrading to the new homehub but what i wanna know is, is it possible to get the orginal cabling ( but longer ) for me to extend my wiring from the open reach box and the router so i can have my open reach box close to the mains and the router in the center of the room ao the wirless signal gets around the house better?? Again sorry if im not making much sense but yeah if you need to know anything just ask!
Any help would be great thanks πŸ™‚ i just wanna check before buying cabling ect!

And any links would be great thanks!!!
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Stupidly poor wireless range/strength but wired no problem at all!

Go to solution

The distance between the modem and the hub does not matter, so you could extend the Ethernet cable if you wanted to.

If you want better wireless coverage then none of the home hubs are going to be any better, as they have internal wireless aerials.

Sooner than change the home hub, you would be better of buying a decent wireless router which has two or more external wireless aerials.

Something like the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND which is about Β£35, and will give much better performance, and will connect directly into the Openreach modem.

If you want to get rid of the modem as well, then read this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/TP-LINK-N600-TD-W9980/m-p/1527958#M113357

Cooper1990
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Keith!

Ah aslong as i know that, i just didn't wanna start fiddling with things and making matters worse but yeah getting a decent wireless router wouldn't be a bad idea! Is it as easy as changing the wiring over or is there abit more too it when it comes to changing from the BT homehub 3 to say a TP link wireless router? As you probably know BT are quite tight when it comes to giving out newest routers to existing loyal customers!

Thanks again Keith!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Its easy to change to a wireless router. You simply unplug the red lead from the home hub, and plug it into the WAN socket on the wireless router.

There is a liitle bit of configuaration to do on the wireless router, and then it should be fine.

If you have or intend to use BT Vision, then you are going to be stuck with using a home hub, or one of the routers that support multicast.

Also, have you considered any of the options on this page to extend wireless over the main wiring?

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/home/

Cooper1990
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
That sounds brilliant to me, as i was saying most devices around my house like desktop pc, xbox one ect are all wired connections either through powerline adapters and a switch box or just a general ethernet cable so all these devices are fine, but as you know not everything can be wired connection so they're the devices that are affected at the minute but hopefully getting a decent wireless router should do the trick πŸ™‚ i will get one ordered off amazon and let you know how it goes!

Thanks mate!

Anthony
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

If that is the case, then a wireless access point would be much simpler, provided you have a spare Ethernet port on your switch.

Look at the TP Link TL-WA701ND, I have three of these.

Setup is on this link.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

This also has the facility to provide a separate wireless network for guests, so you do not have to give them your main wirelees key.

Or the TP-LINK TL-WA901ND.

These would simply plug into an existing Ethernet port.

Cooper1990
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
That literally sounds perfect to me and would definitely sort out the wireless problem around my house! I will have a good read up about these and get one ordered asap! So many different devices to buy like these i never know which would be best so i am glad i came on here and asked beforehand!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Well, I have the original home hub 1, whose wireless had a habit of locking up, so I now have two WA701NDs, one downstairs and one upstairs.

I have a third one on a different subnet, which provides an isolated guest network for visitors, and my neighbour who we have known for 35 years. I look after his IT stuff, and he helps me with DIY stuff.

Just remember to follow my setup page and ensure that its IP address is similar to what I suggest, ie, outside of the DHCP range.

The WA701ND has a single external aerial, but performs very well, and as I said, it has the option of up to four different SSIDS, each with their own settings and wireless MAC filtering as well, so you can control who has access.

They also have their own DHCP server which you can reserve IP addresses, so you can turn off the troublesome home hub DHCP server, which is what I do.

The WA701ND has never had issues with devices not connecting, even Apple stuff, which my neighbour has, connects without any problem.

Cooper1990
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
See this is something i should of invested in a long long time ago! The fact i can set up a seperate connection for guests is perfect as we have a stupid amount of devices connected to the homehub3 at the minute...
So if i have a powerline adapter set up linking to a switch box upstairs with ethernets going to gaming consoles ect then i just need to hard wire a connection between the wireless access point and the switch box also is that right? And then i can set it up that way rather than set up as just a repeater and expand the same connection, i could kind of split the devices in my household and have half on each if thats possible, you learn something new every day I'm glad you have mentioned this keith you top man!

Thanks very much for all your help mate, i will make sure to follow the guide in the link when it does arrive and il let you know if all works
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

You have it correct. You use it as an access point not a repeater, my help page shows both, but its the access point option you need, or multi SSID if you want more than one SSID.

The WA701ND has to be initially configured by plugging it int the LAN port of a PC, that is to allow yo to change the mode and IP address to 192.168.1.16.

Once this is done, you can access it when its connected to your switch port, and you can make any changes to the SSID and wireless password.

Its really a very simple device with lots of useful options incloding a througput monitor.