Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrence15
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Successfully replacing a BT hub with a TP Link modem/router

Go to solution

This is a bit long-winded but maybe it will help anyone who has had same problem as us! We have a standard broadband package with BT (Hub 4) and 2 months ago our wifi started to become intermittent after a year of perfect wifi (broadband works fine). We tried everything: splitting the bands (2.4 + 5), turning off the automatic channel finder, turning off ‘smart’, moving the hub, replacing the micro-filter, replacing Ethernet cables, checking that it wasn’t interference from our microwave, heating thermostat, front door bell etc etc. We bought extenders and paid an IT pro who said he had never come across anything like this. We had endless conversations with BT who were always very helpful on the phone – checking the line and sending out replacement hubs -  they firstly sent out another Hub 4 – same problem. We went to Currys and bought a Hub 6, BT then sent a Hub6, and then replaced that one with another Hub 6 and finally another Hub 4 – all produced the same problem!

During all of the above we determined that it was only the 2.4 band that was going off/on (our 2 mobiles only work on 2.4), our ipad was fine and any visitors with devices that operated on 5ghz worked fine (they just logged onto our split 5ghz band network). The problem seemed to be particularly bad at the front of the property but strangely our mobiles worked perfectly in the kitchen in the basement. We thought it must be outside interference and spoke to neighbours to determine whether anyone had bought anything new. Around the time it started misbehaving I happened to see BT engineers under the pavement opposite doing something with the cables – I think the offices opposite have had BT infinity installed – I was convinced (and still am a bit) that these cables are giving off some electrical interference/arcing.

Our mobiles seem to work fine when we log onto other people’s wifi when we are away – including BT hubs.

Our neighbour on one side has the same problem (BTHub5). Our neighbour on the other side kindly gave us his password for his newly installed Virgin wifi and although the signal is weak our wifi works perfectly when we are logged onto his. This got us thinking that after this whole process of elimination the only remaining thing seemed to be the actual Hub, even though we had tried different models of hub and 6 different ones!

We bought a ‘TP Link AC1200 dual band m-router’ from Argos (£79.99) and everything is working perfectly. It was very easy to set up – wifi came on immediately and I rang the TP technical department when I couldn’t get broadband to work (I’m not very techie but she talked me through enabling DHCP/enabling finding an IP address automatically). I just plugged the Youview box in and that too works perfectly.

Our conclusion is that there is either something wrong in all the BT firmware that effects the 2.4ghz band or that there is some sort of interference coming in from the street that only affects BT hubs. I hope this might help anyone who is experiencing the same problem!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Successfully replacing a BT hub with a TP Link modem/router

Go to solution

@lawrence15 wrote:

Our conclusion is that there is either something wrong in all the BT firmware that effects the 2.4ghz band or that there is some sort of interference coming in from the street that only affects BT hubs. I hope this might help anyone who is experiencing the same problem!

Your statement "Our mobiles seem to work fine when we log onto other people’s wifi when we are away – including BT hubs" seems to contradict the above statement "something wrong in all the BT firmware that effects the 2.4ghz band ".

It may be you are correct when you say "some sort of interference coming in from the street that only affects BT hubs".

In any event, a third party router will almost always be better than the mass produced cheap router supplied by any of the ISPs so well done in your purchase.

0 Ratings
lawrence15
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Successfully replacing a BT hub with a TP Link modem/router

Go to solution
Yes - you are quite right! Thank you - I will amend
0 Ratings