cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Superfast Broadband question

Hi. We are currently BT Unlimited Broadband customers. Superfast Broadband has just been activated in our area. Does this mean our speeds should increase? What i mean by that is with Unlimited Broadband you should get up to 17mb. Until now the best we have achieved is about 2.5mb. With the exchange having been upgraded should we now see an increase in our speeds even if we don't sign up to Infinity?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Superfast Broadband question

Enter you phone number and see what options you get. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Upgrading exchange for fibre does not normally make any change to adsl connections

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

So what you are telling me is this.

I already pay for an up to 17mb connection which I am not getting (only 2.5-3Megs tops).

"Superfast Broadband"has now been activated in my area although apparently the best speed they can offer me is up to 15mb!! And for that I amsupposed to fork out more money per month for a speed I am already paying for and not getting.

How is that anything other than a complete rip-off??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I am not telling you anything. All i told you was to enter your phone number in the checker and that would give you information about possible connection and estimated speed for your connection. Your speed is mainly determined by your distance from the exchange for adsl or distance from the street cabinet for fibre.  

fttn-speed-graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Hi Shetlander,

Once fibre broadband is available to your area and property (be that FTTC, FTTP, or equivilant superfast broadband infrastructure) such as BT Infinity then you will need to upgrade to that product.

The infrastructure is different to the current ADSL service and different equipment is needed, therefor you have to upgrade to that fibre based service.

What does it say when you enter your landline number into the BTWholesale Database? link http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Post the "services grid " and also include the exchange and cab number, though remember to delete your landline number before posting.

It sounds like  FTTC is available to you but  you are quite far from your DSLAM cabinet, you may only be able to get BT Retail's FTTC Unlimited Faster Broadband which is FTTC fibre broadband but for those who are estimated a FTTC DS Speed of 15mbps or less.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

All speeds quoted are up to speeds regardless of what type of broadband you have.

If you use the checker that was posted earlier this will give you the estimated speeds for your line. It will show the estimated speeds for each of the different types of broadband available.

If you have ADSL (normal) broadband one of the main limiting factor for speeds is your distance from the exchange.

If you have Infinity / Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) broadband the main limiting factor is your distance from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Shetlander
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

This is what it says:

Exchange LERWICK is served by Cabinet 15

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)14.891.20.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)11.85.910.6--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 4Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 10

Thanks Shetlander,

Looks like you may only get BT Retail's Unlimited Faster Broadband (FTTC) as your quite far from your DSLAM cabinet.

Though in order to get fibre broadband (in your case FTTC) you will need to upgrade to that product.

Here's a link to the service http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages?packid=fubb  Please be aware that the offer may only be available to new BT customers.

Here's an explanation of what Unlimited Faster Broadband (FTTC) is http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If you have Fibre broadband (FTTC) your speeds can be anything between 5.9Mbps and 14.8 Mbps depending on what Range of line you have.

If you are on ADSL (normal) broadband the best you can expect is speeds upto 3Mbps.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

If the best you get on ADSL is 2.5 then I'd say you're about 5km from the exchange. If they say you can only get a max of 14 on FTTC I'd say you're about 1.5km away, maybe a little closer from your PCP.

Because VDSL works on a 17mhz or 30mhz frequency, compared to 1.7 (I think?) for ADSL it doesn't work well over long distances.
0 Ratings