Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Superfast Fibre 1 with Smart hub frustrations

Go to solution

sounds more fobbed off as internet conenction appeared ok with constant blue light and problem with hub to wireless device

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

The usual response from the helpdesk, other people have received the same script Smiley Wink

The number of connections makes no difference to the Internet, but it can make a difference to the smart hub, owing to the way it stores device connection information.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I would not be so sure about the Billion one that @Techwizz has suggested, as many of them cannot handle the BT YouView multicast stream.

They can, absolutely fine.

0 Ratings
burtracoon
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

I thought I should revisit this one and share my outcomes for the benefit of others.

I decided that I was getting nowhere with Bt as is the norm and even if I was able to get some new hardware from them would it prove to be any better.  Following the advice given here I decide to bite the bullet and buy a new router.  I went for a TP link Archer VR600 V2.  as i figured a few of the additional features such as range and Beamforming technology might be of use.  Set up wasnt plug and play as promised but a bit of fiddling with the settings and I was all up and running including the BT TV.

I can report that having purchased the new router in late December it is now mid March I've not had a a single issue or drop off and haven't had cause to reboot or even touch it. 

In conclusion the BT smart hub was dropping out and losing connecting multiple times a day.  BT support were no help and not interested, just  regurgitating the same old scripts and certainly wouldnt accept any issues with the hardware supplied.   Despite having to spend on a new router I'm very pleased I did as everything works as you would hope and has removed a cause of frustration from my life. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@burtracoon 

I am pleased you have it sorted. Others have reported similar results.

I get the impression that the smart hubs are not very stable, probably due to their very wide frequency bandwidth, and the inability to be locked to a specific connection profile, so they are easily upset by any noise which is outside of the expected connection profile.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

as I have said before my SH6 works perfectly fine with no problems and many connected wifi devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe, once a modem locks onto a connection (whether it's searching for all modes (ADSL and/or VDSL)) it doesn't pick up noise from other connections/technologies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Setting a fixed profile restricts the sampling rate of the signal processing circuitry so its optimised for that profile, and will reject any signals which are out-of-band.

Third party VDSL routers like the TP link Archer VR600 allow you to specify the connection profile, whereas the home hubs are wideband, and more susceptible to out-of-band signals, as they have to auto negotiate all profiles from ADSL MAX to VDSL.

This also means that if they do loose connection, they have to go through a lengthy training process to determine what the connection profile is, which can be a problem if there is RF noise on the line.

This can also make the home hubs 5 and 6, unstable on long ADSL lines, so BT should alway supply a home hub 4 in these cases, which has a 2.2MHz upper frequency limit (ADSL2+)

If you have a good line, with very little RF noise pickup, then the "smart" hubs can work just fine, as others will testify.

There are plenty of other people lik @burtracoon , that have issues with the stability of the home hubs, possibly due to RF noise on the line, or excessive crosstalk from other services on the "E" side cable.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution
Yes, they have to negotiate within the sync process, not once sync has been established.
0 Ratings