cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Swann CCTV

Hi, I'm not sure if I have the correct forum page so if I'm in the wrong section could you please redirect me.

I have just bought a Swann security CCTV system for my garage, I need to connect the DVR to the internet but it can only be done via an ethernet cable from the router.

Our wireless router is too far away from the DVR to plug it in as the garage is at the bottom of our very long garden, I was thinking along the lines of buying a router that would pick up BT hotspots and connect that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice please

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Swann CCTV

@brian22cairns 

Which BT Home Hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Fibre with BT Halo 2

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

@brian22cairns wrote:

Fibre with BT Halo 2

This should help. It will provide an Ethernet link.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

An even better option would be to run an External Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

I looked into this but I can't see it working as our router will be nearly 1/4 mile away from garage, it also rules out an external ethernet cable.

That's why I was thinking along the lines of a router that we can wirelessly pick up our account via HotSpot so we can then just run a standard 1 metre length ethernet cable from that router to the DVR

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Routers don't pick up a hotspot, they transmit it and only when connected to the internet.

There is no way you are going to connect anything 1/4 mile away in any case, either by Ethernet or wifi.

Message 7 of 18

If its that far away, they you would be better to get a separate broadband connection, or perhaps a 4G router with an unlimited data package.

Message 8 of 18

I've been told to use an old laptop with a WiFi adaptor dongle and connect the laptop and DVR using the ethernet cable, thing is it would mean the laptop being on 24/7

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

@brian22cairns wrote:

I've been told to use an old laptop with a WiFi adaptor dongle and connect the laptop and DVR using the ethernet cable, thing is it would mean the laptop being on 24/7

Wifi will not travel a quarter of a mile.

If you could detect a good signal, the a wireless access point operating as a wireless client, would convert the wifi signal to an Ethernet connection.

Like this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901n/

Operating in client mode, it receives an incoming wireless signal, and presents it on an Ethernet connection.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

You need to connect to the Internet. Because of the location to your garage being so far from your house you would need to get a sperate Internet feed into your garage.

This would mean either you pay for phone/broadband line to be installed in the garage so that you can purchase a suitable broadband package or you purchase a mobile broadband router/dongle and package. 

Rather than using a laptop you should get a mobile broadband router and your CCTV could connect directly to that. This CCTV system would be an independent system and not part of any CCTV system that you may have for your house.

0 Ratings