Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markcornwell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Switch advice required

Go to solution

Hello, I didn't get too useful an answer from the BT helpdesk yesterday so trying here instead.

For various reasons I have upstairs in my home a desktop PC (no wireless capability) and a large printer (no wireless capability) and they have ethernet cables coming out of them which meet where a hub used to be I'll call that X as it marks the spot.

Downstairs in my home the BT line now comes in, goes to the BT Infinity Home Hub and sends its signal around the home.

(The key in those italics is the phone line and wireless hub used to be upstairs and is now downstairs but I have some non-wireless kit still upstairs that I want to link in to it.)

When the engineer came to fit everything last week we talked about these two machines and the fact that I have them attached to a router. I was going to try to connect the wireless router (a Netgear box) to the BT HH. He said that if that wasn't possible I could buy one of the ethernet plug-into-the-wall things to connect the ethernet in to the HH using plugs downstairs and upstairs.

I talked to Netgear. The old router is not configurable like that. The ONLY way to allow it to be used as a hub would be to run an ethernet cable alll around our living room, up the stairs, along the landing, into my home office and phycisally connect the HH to the old Netgear router.

Netgear did suggest an alternative is to replace the Netgear router with a WN2000RPT which I could then plug in the ethernet cables with.

I've also talked to BT technical helpdesk (whilst I waited for responses from Netgear on the configuration query). Initially they said it was not possible to remotely connect a hub to the HH. Their answer was a very long ethernet cable. When I said that their engineer had suggested the plugs idea they then said I should go to a BT shop and ask there as they didn't know anything about connecting to a HH. (How odd!)

Currently there are THREE answers to my conundrum.

1. run a very long cable down the stairs - not a practical solution although from a connectivity viewpoint it would work for sure.

2. buy a plug-it-in-the-wall ethernet gizmo - in theory this might work I do have two teeenzy issues with it a) I have no idea which ones will work with the HH b) more importantly my home office has insufficient spare sockets in the room so if I can unplug the old Netgear router I can plug something else in, but I can't find another slot on either of my multi-plug-socket things.

3. replace the Netgear wireless router "X" with a device like the WN2000RPT and plug the two machines into that.

The third answer is what I would rather do - as I said at the start, "X marks the spot". Simply swap out my old hub, plug in an alternative, and connect up again.

I went to look for WN20000RPT on google and found comments about difficulty connecting it. I am wondering if there is an alternative - preferably one that doesn't break the bank.

So... does anyone have a similar scenario where they have a hub that will allow them to connect ethernet devices into it - and then wirelessly connect that to a Home Hub 3? Inexpensive solutions preferred, naturally. 🙂

What is that X? Did you have any issues connecting it or did it just work?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Switch advice required

Go to solution

Take a look at my network diagram below, it may give you some pointers.

Ethernet switches are a cheap and easy solution.

Also look here Network connections

Home Network.jpg

0 Ratings
markcornwell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Keith, thanks.

The Network connections item that you point to seems to rely on powerline adapters. Those are the solution 2 that I said would be impractical simply for lack of physical plug sockets being available.

The network that you show with your TL-SF1005D switches also would not work as it would rely on a long ethernet cable. Which is solution 1 in my list.

This shows my old scenario, downstairs and upstairs. In the "new" scenario I know that I need to replace the Netgear hub but "the magic connection" needs to be wireless.

Preferably it needs to not be using powerline adapters. I have two 8 way blocks in the study and they're already full and as for where the HH comes in it grabbed two plug sockets and another 6 way block now has two devices that used to be connected not currently connected (I need a bigger multi-way block but there *are* limits!) 🙂

The simplest scenario is to replace the netgear with something that talks wirelessly to the BT HH but that has some ethernet ports on it as well. This is what I am looking for - a solid recommendation for a switch that will do that.

I just want to know that any suggested switch will actually set up and connect easily to the HH as the one Netgear suggested doesn't seem to be easy to get working from what I have read.

WiringQuery

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You can use a TP-LINK TL-WA701ND in its client mode. That would connect to your home hub and provide an Ethernet port at a remote location.

You could then put an Ethernet switch on the end.

0 Ratings
markcornwell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you. I'll check that out. 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@markcornwell wrote:
Thank you. I'll check that out. 🙂

If you look at this website, you will see that is possible to use the device as a wireless repeater and access its Ethernet port for local access as well. If you need any help, let me know.

Wireless boosting

I have not included a "client only" mode configuration, but if you used the repeater config, and simply changed it to a client only, then it will work as a wireless adapter.

Powerline adapters are still the best option. Its easy enough to add a two way mains extension if you are short of sockets.

0 Ratings
markcornwell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, Keith. I checked out the user guide on the manufacturer's site and can see that client config should do the job. Getting more sockets added is not economically possible right now, but that switch looks just the job.

Looks like I'm sorted. Cheers.

0 Ratings