Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ardunn
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Switching to a modem without WiFi

Go to solution

We do not use WiFi (at all) and have decided to switch to using a modem that does not have it, no need to have the signal bouncing around the house if we are never going to use it. We purchased a DrayTek Vigor 130 VDSL/ADSL modem, a Tp-Link TL-R470T+ load balanced broadband router, we have a BT Fibre1 package.  I connected the modem to the broadband line and the 1st Wan port of the router and the Lan port of the router to our Mac Mini (late 2009 Dual Core 2.53 8GB memory, El Capitan 10.11.6), via about 20m of cable (same one as we used for the BT kit).  Turned on the modem then the router, all lights on the modem and router indicate that they are working as they should but the Mac tells me we are not internet connected. Not being completely up to date with all things internet kit related I have read the meager documentation supplied for each and cannot see what I have done incorrectly. It may be that it is late and that I am tired and have missed something simple (which it usually is when you are tired) or missed an entire step in the setup procedure. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated. A step by step (idiots) guide would be applauded from the roof top. Thank you all in antici............pation (as Frank N Furter would say) I'm off to bed, need some sleep.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Switching to a modem without WiFi

Go to solution

You need to enter the PPPoE username and password in the router to the generic bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT respectively. You might have to enter the VLAN id also, that is 101.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Why didn't you just disable the Wi-Fi on the BT supplied hub?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Anonymouswrote:

Why didn't you just disable the Wi-Fi on the BT supplied hub?

That's too simple.😀

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

BT wifi would still be transmitting and opting out only seems to be temporary these days as it seems to get switched back on with firmware updates.