Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayster
Contributor
Message 21 of 140

Re: Synology Nas & BT home hub forward ports

Ok folks,

Here is a detailed step by step guide to help resolve the above issue, you can use the link below to access this document. I really hope that any forum members experiencing this situation find this guide helpful and reslove any issue like the one i had.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info//hardware/synology/ds214/ds214nas.html

Can i also say a big thanks to Keith who helped myself along the way to reach this resolution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 140

HomeHub4 issues with Synology NAS

Hi

I have a BT HomeHub4 and a Synology DS413j NAS But I am having problems accessing my NAS remotely. I can't even see the Synology when I log into the HomeHub's device list even though its hard wired into the router, and I can connect to it using its internal IP address in a web browser so its definitely working okay.

I have followed the Synology guides to set up the nas for external internet access. I have also followed this guide http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Home_Hub_4/Synology_DS413j.htm to ensure all the relevant ports are forwarded on my HH4, however, when I try to connect to it remotely (or even ping the external IP address) I constantly get a connection failed error.

Is anyone able to help me with anything else I can try please?

Many thanks

Synology DiskStation DS413J with 3 x Seagate Red 4TB NAS HDDs
Streaming to iPhone 5S, iPhone 5c, Sky NowTV Roku box, Sony Blu-ray Player and Sonos music system via BT HomeHub4.0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 140

Re: HomeHub4 issues with Synology NAS

Is this any help, its for a different model?

SYNOLOGY DS214 - Remote access via BT Home Hub

And possibly this.

Port forwarding problems

0 Ratings
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 140

hi Keith

Thanks for that. It defintely looks useful, however, I can't get the diskstation to show up in the devices list at all even though its working on the LAN without issue when I access it with my web browser.

Streaming to iPhone 5S, iPhone 5c, Sky NowTV Roku box, Sony Blu-ray Player and Sonos music system via BT HomeHub4.0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 140

As that contribution was provided recently by another forum member, its possible they may be able to help.

The original thread is here

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Synology-Nas-amp-BT-home-hub-forward-ports/td-p/1133748

This resulted in the production of the website page.

If you want to add to that thread, its possible that the OP will be able to advise.

Remember to check my port forwarding page, just in case you are on CGNAT. Also, you may not be able to ping it using the external address from within your network, as I don`t think the home hub supports NAT loopback.

0 Ratings
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 140

Hi Keith

I will do that, many thanks for your help

KR

Jo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 140

Its difficult for me to advise any more, as I have a Zyxel NAS device, which works fine.

kayster has done it a different way that I would have done, I would have just created one application, then added the ports to it. It makes no difference, as long as it works, it just a bit more complicated.

If you find anything useful when you get it working, that may help other people, then I can add it to the existing contribution. Thanks.

0 Ratings
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 140

Thanks Keith, I did notice that I had mine all under one application and Kayster's were separate so was just separating mine out to see if it made any difference. However, there is one section of the instructions that I can't work out. Maybe you could assist me with this....

It says
"Part 3:
Choose from the from down box on the left side your port names you just created above DNS Server, HTTP, HTTPS & Web Server HTTP, one at a time.
Once selected ,go to the right side drop down box and select “User Defined IP Address”. A new input box will open just below the drop down box and this is where you enter the Static IP address of"

I understand the instruction but am struggling to find which screen the from down box is on 😞

Thanks
0 Ratings
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 140

as you can see from this screen grab I have the option to RE-ASSIGN the entry from my NAS name to the User Defined IP Address, is that what Kayster meant?

hub2 copy.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 140

My home hub 1 is different, but you do need to be in the advanced mode to see the user defined options.

If you are still stuck, drop kayster a personal message as I am sure they will not mind clarifying their instructions. The text on the website can be altered if need be.

I assume that when you tested your settings, with all the ports defined under one application, you could not see any ports open using one of the many testing websites?

0 Ratings