Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
golfboy19711
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Synology VPN with Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Has anyone got a Home Hub 6 and got it working with a Synology NAS device using the Synology VPN solution? (i.e. connecting from out on the Internet back to your Synology device with the Synology VPN installed). I'm aware that on the Home Hub 5 this does not work, but used to work on the Home Hub 4 (and in fact works on many other non-BT routers as long as you're using the OpenReach modem that came with the Home Hub 4 setup).

Thanks

Golfboy19711

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Synology VPN with Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

This may be of help.

SYNOLOGY DS214 - Remote access via BT Home Hub 

There is also a contact link for a forum member who may be able to help.

0 Ratings
golfboy19711
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Keith,

Thanks for the welcome and for the link you provided. Unfortunately this doesn't look like it's related to the VPN issue that the Home Hub 5 has. It seems related to accessing the Synology Diskstation access page (which I didn't know was an issue on BT, so that's another scare 😐 )

Thanks

Golfboy19711

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

You could ask @kayster

they may know the answer.

0 Ratings
kayster
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution
golfboy,

just picking this up.....
what Vpn connection are utilising on the vpn server application ?
golfboy19711
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

0 Ratings
kayster
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
evening,

thanks for the info ...
you have enabled the above vpn connections, can you confirm the relative ports are now open?
0 Ratings
golfboy19711
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Kayster,

With my current ISP, my VPN is working perfectly, however I'm looking to move to BT and I have a concern that working via BT devices my VPN will fail, as there are some articles and a video on YouTube showing that using inbound (to your home) VPN via BT Home Hub 5 does not work, but it does work if you use an OpenReach modem connected to a 3rd party router. Therefore I didn't move over to BT whilst they've been dishing out the Home Hub 5 ... but now they're sending out Home Hub 6 units I'm wondering if someone can tell me they've had experience of getting inbound VPN working (after doing all the usual port forwarding setup).

Thanks

Golfboy19711

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@golfboy19711

You do not have to use the home hub 6, or any of the home hubs, you can use a third party router, which is going to be much better anyway. By all means try the HH6 first if its been given out free.

Take a look at this one, especially the emulator page, and you will see all of the options. It also has a good wireless range.

Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

0 Ratings
golfboy19711
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
Keith_Beddoe,

Thanks for the info, I'm really intrigued. So will this approach work with BT Infinity, or is this only for ADSL (I'm aware of ADSL 3rd party modem/routers, but not aware of devices for Infinity circuits)?

Thanks
0 Ratings