cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
garethgilbert
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

System says we are exchange only, engineer has confirmed we are wired to cabinet - HELP

We have always had issues (past 2 years in house) with our boradband. We can't upgrade to fibre as the system says we are exchange only. An engineer visited two weeks ago and confirmed this was incorrect. He also said he would change our wiring in the cabinet so we could order fibre. This would take approximately an hour after his visit to process. 

Two weeks later, we are still listed as exchange only. BT say they can't change it and can't speak to openreach about it. Openreach tell me I have to go through BT. The engineer said he couldn't help (I still had his mobile.) I have been on calls, live chats, twitter, email, you name it. I am hoping someone on here can direct me? The basic issue is that because we are listed as exchange only, the signal gets sent down the wire to the caninet, then gets rejected for running the wrong routine (engineers terminology.) This means I get variable speed (from 0.5mbps to 3.5mpbs) and regualr drops in connection. If I get the designation changed, i am led to believe that not only will my current set up stabilise and improve, but I could then also order fibre.

BT called again today and accepted they couldn't help and that they were also unwilling to send anyone out to confirm what I am telling them. 

Can anyone suggest a course of action?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: System says we are exchange only, engineer has confirmed we are wired to cabinet - HELP

I have never heard such rubbish

"The basic issue is that because we are listed as exchange only, the signal gets sent down the wire to the caninet, then gets rejected for running the wrong routine (engineers terminology.) This means I get variable speed (from 0.5mbps to 3.5mpbs) and regualr drops in connection"

an exchange line is exactly that the line goes directly to the exchange it does not use any cabinets that is why you cannot get fibre services

Only Openreach can look into this problem and BT sales should be able to get this sorted out for you
0 Ratings
garethgilbert
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: System says we are exchange only, engineer has confirmed we are wired to cabinet - HELP

I appreciate the response, and apologise if it sounds like rubbish. However, this was the information from the engineer. He said catagorically, we are connected to the cabinet and the EO listing was incorrect. 

BT have been unable or unwilling to help and Openreach keep sending me back to BT. It's a depressing loop. 

I have seen other posts on here where the database has had an error. Other engineers (I've taken to stopping at the cabinet when I see one) have said it is not an uncommon occurrence. Also, the lack of telegraph pole or similar near my house would indicate it is an error. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

BT can get this resolved just be persistent with them
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Also, the lack of telegraph pole or similar near my house would indicate it is an error. 

That would have absolutely no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

0 Ratings
garethgilbert
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I appreciate the critique(s) of my post. I am merely passing on parts of the conversations from Openreach engineers. In our area, they suggested EO lines were routed over telegraph poles. The fact we don't have one backs up the suggestion it is a system or database error. 

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Adslchecker.bt.com I think will give you the information that open reach have for your telephone line including what cabinet it is connected to. If open reach have this down wrong then I guess BT and other internet providers will also be looking at incorrect information. Maybe you have already done this - hoping to be helpful 🙂

0 Ratings
garethgilbert
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Cheers. Yes, it says the same.  I took advice from above and called the sales team to ask when my contract expired as I wanted to move providers. That has spurred a whole raft of activity. Event the promise of a 'priority hit squad that not everyone knows about.' It's really **bleep** annoying that by going the obvious route of support, etc. I got nowhere. 30 minutes on the phone with sales and they acknowledge it is a regular issue (first time so far) and that they can fix it fast. I should learn and not follow any of the prescribed processes. 

0 Ratings
garethgilbert
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for the suggestion. Calling the sales team has got me further than any other route so far. Hopefully a resolution is in sight.
0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@garethgilbert wrote:

Cheers. Yes, it says the same.  I took advice from above and called the sales team to ask when my contract expired as I wanted to move providers. That has spurred a whole raft of activity. Event the promise of a 'priority hit squad that not everyone knows about.' It's really **bleep** annoying that by going the obvious route of support, etc. I got nowhere. 30 minutes on the phone with sales and they acknowledge it is a regular issue (first time so far) and that they can fix it fast. I should learn and not follow any of the prescribed processes. 

Good news! Unfortunately it always seems to be the way that threatening to leave spurs on some action. Hope it's sorted soon.

0 Ratings