cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AlanJGB
Message 1 of 6

TECHNICAL QUESTION: Getting access to a nearby BT Infinity service...

My telephone and broadband service is only one telegraph pole away — but a whole seperate exchange away — from connection to a BT Infinity-enabled service.

My question is, given that my broadband is always-on, can it be unrelated therefore to my telephone number and its exchange? Is it technically possible to connect together those two telegraph poles and access the BT Infinity service given that IT IS ALWAYS ON...

Would I need to have a second "ghost" telephone number on the Infinity-enable exchange?

I can understand there will also be the myriad of administrative issues — and that is understandable/predictable — but I'd like to understand what the technical limitations might be for an always-on service, versus and ADSL or dial-up service.

Many thanks

AB

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: TECHNICAL QUESTION: Getting access to a nearby BT Infinity service...

if your phone is working then openreach will not redirect your line to another pole/exchnage/cabinet.  if you get another 'ghost' line then it will come from the existing pole provided there is capacity and again that decision is with openreach and not the customer  

this type of question has been posted already - can you imagine the chaos if customer could select poles or cabinets or exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AlanJGB
Message 3 of 6

Thx imjolly.

I can appreciate the chaos you refer to.

What I want to know is about the technical limitations of what is an always-on, unlimitlessly, supply system/service.

Is it like comparing it to water? Connect up the two pipes and the water (data) can flow. If you make a connection to a fibre-activated pole can it work? What would be in place in the current technology to stop it?

Thx again

AB

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Hi AlanJGB,

An always on broadband connection such as ADSL, VDSL2 (FTTC) and many other fibre/cable/broadband services just means that the connection is always there rather than like dial-up when you hade to dial a connection (handskaking) to the exchange before you were able to get an internet connection

With ADSL, VDSL2 (FTTC) and many other fibre/cable/broadband services when the services is activated and your broadband modem/router is switched on and connected it will connect/sync to the DSLAM and will stay connected unless you turn the modem/router off.

With broadband be that ADSL, FTTC or any other broadband service there will need to be authentication between your modem/router and the DSLAM and the ISPs network

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I think to add to jac_95 post you can read more detail here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/equip2.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@AlanJGB wrote:

Thx imjolly.

I can appreciate the chaos you refer to.

What I want to know is about the technical limitations of what is an always-on, unlimitlessly, supply system/service.

Is it like comparing it to water? Connect up the two pipes and the water (data) can flow. If you make a connection to a fibre-activated pole can it work? What would be in place in the current technology to stop it?

Thx again

AB

For phone and ADSL, you have a dedicated pair of wires all the way back to the exchange, where your pair is connected to one specific input of the DSLAM.  There may be many poles and junction boxes between you and the exchange, but there will always be two particular wires that are dedicated to you.

Infinity is a bit different.  The DSLAM is now in the cabinet, not the exchange.  But you still need one specific pair of wires between your home and one input of that DSLAM.

There isn't some magic "cloud" of broadband you can tap into.  It's all point-to-point links.

Openreach have no interest in re-configuring their infrastructure just for the benefit of one customer, who is only paying them a few pounds per month in line rental.  You might just manage it if you were willing to pay the full cost of the reconfiguration, which could cost anything from hundreds to thousands of pounds.  But don't count on it.