cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

THE SMART HUB 2 IS AWFUL!!

Go to solution

Waited for over 6 months for full fibre connection – openreach and BT do not communicate!  They dug up a neighbour’s property for ducting 🤣 Finally had it installed about two weeks ago……….

Before new connection – BT with copper to the home, old hub no disc, full signal strength in all rooms and stable connection with about 60mb download and 20mb upload.  Signal reached garden office also with full signal strength and stable connection and 60mb download and 20mb upload.

After new connection – Top speed first day 149mb download, 27mb upload for about 2 hrs.  Since then, 8 mb download when lucky, but oddly 27 mb upload most often.  Devices haven’t worked properly since due to slow speeds.  Dare not connect to disc as all devices grind to a halt.  BT app speed checker used and sitting virtually next the hub and disc to get these readings.  Connected to Dumb Hub 2 using work laptop as that still has an ethernet connection – got full speeds of 149mb download, 27mb for that test.  Will test again when time permits.  Waiting for customer services – yawn yawn – perhaps as speedy as their hubs.

Using up data on phone as having to hot spot to attend online meetings.

Incredibly disappointed as did intend to go to the other supplier beginning with S…….NOW REGRET THAT I DIDN’T!

Any ideas out there………

Yours,

Mr Angry (BeWary) 😠

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: THE SMART HUB 2 IS AWFUL!!

Go to solution

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

try selecting the wireless channels manually instead of relying on auto.  I would use a wifi analyser on your phone which will show channels in use near you and let you select a free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @BeWary and welcome.

I'm sorry you're not happy with the connection. Can you please try the advice posted by @imjolly and let us know if that helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice.

I made the changes but it made no difference.

An update.  Full signal strength in all rooms in the house, and for good measure, to the furthest corners and my back garden and repeatedly checked.  This hasn't changed since installation so excellent wifi connection.  Connected to hub with ethernet cable twice yesterday and this morning and speed showing 150mbps download and 29mbps upload as expected.  Sitting 1 meter away from hub with a personal laptop that cost £1000 and 3 months old and getting about 15 - 20mbps per second at best and very often 0mbps.  At times of tests only my mobile connected to Hub whilst children at school and other devices switched off including BT TV box etc .  Run speed checker provided in BT App confirms the same speed, also sitting next to Hub.

Must be dud kit.  Having waited 6 months for new connection and countless visits to my property by openreach and BT as they don't communicate with each other, and with the school holidays approaching and working from, the BT Smart Hub wont cope so concern now growing and massive disruption to my work.

Others reading this post, I am now writing a letter with all details waiting to send to the Ombudsmen (after BT customer services contact me........) to see of that makes any difference.

Unhappy days ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Can you log in to the hub and see what devices are connected by wifi. For example is your laptop showing as connected?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

there is no guarantee on wifi speed as it is subject to many variations of interference from within your home and outside.  the ombudsman may note your problem but do not action individual complaints

is your speed over ethernet connection as expected for your connection speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Yes BT App showing my laptop as a connected device.

Only two weeks ago with my old BT set up with  20mbps upload and 65mbps download speeds maintained near constant.  All family laptops in my house, four of them, when all connected no degradation in upload and download speeds experienced.  Now with new setup I have tested with all laptops connected and the Smart Hub 2 waves a white flag.......

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Agree that there is no guarantee on wifi speed and I wouldn't expect that to be the case with many possible factors at play.  However, contrasting old set up with new set up, the new set up is very poor and should be better.  Tested with all family laptops connected today, all experience excellent wifi connection but appalling upload and download mbps.  Checked with ethernet cable again and that shows bang on 150 mbps download and 30 mbps upload.  

Tried other suggestion about channels but that didn't work either.

One very interesting observation though.  For three days running I noticed a sudden increase of download and upload mbps to near 150/30 mbps respectively for about 30 minutes when connected with wifi only.  This happened about midday on each day so will investigate.........

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Possibly final post in this matter as now chasing BT with this one.

Poor speeds most of the time over weekend.  It did peak at more of expected speeds at a couple of times over the weekend but only for about 15 - 30 mins.  Did a hub reset and download speeds were near max for about 30 mins then settled to its normal 30 mbps upload and 30 mbps download.  

Can't say how much I regret going for a so called upgrade........also now children at home having to isolate and the new BT kit already starting to crumble.

Any ideas welcome and will check back to post.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Have you amended the wifi mode (Advanced settings, wifi)?

There are three modes - I think it defaults to mode 1.Try 2 or 3.

And what is the security set to?

Otherwise, I can only suggest you but a 3rd party wifi mesh system.

I use Netgear Orbi. It works faultlessly with the SH 2.

I know, I know, why should you buy something else but ...........

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings