cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 43

Re: TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC 1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router

Have just bought the latest version of this and it works out of the box with easy setup. Just swapped everything over from the HH5 and followed the easy setup guide and it works for everything including BT Youview, Sport, Netflix etc.

I am on Infinity1 and download speed has increased from 29 to 37 Mbps and is steady. Wifi is excellent too though I didn't have any problem with the HH5 either with both located in large cupboard with brick walls to 3 sides. Changed as HH5 was occasionally seizing up on wifi requiring a reboot to get it back. 

If you are considering this just one point to mention is check the dimensions as it is quite big, almost twice the size of the HH5. Otherwise a great upgrade to the HH5. Got it for £99 on an Amazon special deal day too.

0 Ratings
lookalikey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 43

Re: TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC 1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router

Ive bought the vr900

installed the latest firmware

yet still can't get bt sport channels to work

i've setup the connection manually as the isp list didn't have BT in it ? Had to get PPPoE setup with VLAN 101 to work.

i've not enabled iptv settings in the admin console

0 Ratings
lookalikey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 43

solved this.... had to set the region to UK in the System Tools > Time Settings screen under advanced... then bt sport all works fine...
hussarman
Message 34 of 43

I have BT Infinity 2 through the Openreach modem, and am currently using the HH5 connected by RJ45/CAT5 cable to the Openreach box. I bought this TP-Link modem to replace the HH5, but - as I received the 'For Phoneline Connections' version from Amazon (which wasn't specified on the item's description) - I cannot figure out how to connect it to the Openreach modem.

I assume to use it with the Openreach modem, I should have ensured to get the Cable router version with the RJ45 connection point to the Openreach modem - is that correct?  

My apologies for asking a fairly basic question about this, but wanted to check that the Cable version will definitely work with the Openreach modem before I exchange the two. Thanks, Kevin

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 43

The tplink will work without the modem or is there a reason you want to use both modem and router?

you need to make sure you change username in tplink to bthomehub@btbroadband.com. And you can use any password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 36 of 43

I recently received a VR900 and posted my initial thoughts to another thread on the forum -- see https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Latest-VDSL-Home-Hub-Equivalents/m-p/1607267#M12... (I'm using it as a single unit - HG612 retired)

0 Ratings
BoutTime
Contributor
Message 37 of 43

I've just returned my VR900. Initially I thought it was great except for the somewhat limited options regarding parental controls.

My HH5 had started to reboot and loose connection evrey couple of days. My speeds had gradually dropped from 55meg down to 38meg. I bought the VR900 based on reviews saying it was stable. After installation my speeds went up slightly to 40meg and then because I'd rebooted it multiple times in a day when setting it up I was put on a banded connection capped at 35meg. DLM had seen the reboots as instability on my line.

After an engineer visit and DLM reset the speeds increased up to 60meg but then the disconnects started to happen after a while. BT said it was a fault with my line and after a couple of engineer visits they traced it back to my router. They had checked all my connections and replaced a cable but the problem had supposedly persisted. The line was still faulting. I was asked to plug my HH5 back in and then the line fault cleared. This was obviously strange as my HH5 had been rebooting and loosing connection before which is why i bought the VR900 in the first place.

Two days later and the HH5 has lost connection only once during the night and is giving me 53meg DL and 14meg UL.

I checked with Amazon and I had only one day left before I could return the VR900. So I reluctantly returned it which is a shame because I wanted to give it another go. I still believe there may have been a problem with my line which they fixed during their checks, As my HH5 wasn't working before but now it appears to be fine. As such my VR900 may have been ok.

I really want to go with a DSL-AC68U if not just for the UI and settings options which weren't very good on the VR900. But there are lots of people also complaining about these. I may give one a go after using the HH5 for a few more days. Atleast I'll know if it's working or not. Ifthe HH5 stays stable and the Asus gives me problems, I'll know for sure my Line is fine and I can just return the Asus.

Oh and the TP-Link forum is shocking as is the online support. It took over 24 before they approved my post and that was after I chased them up. It's very difficult to view online help tickets and they appear not to know much about their product.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
planetf1
Expert
Message 38 of 43

I can completely understand. My vr900 is going back too as its not really any better to hh5 +hg612
0 Ratings
BoutTime
Contributor
Message 39 of 43

The thing is......Amazon have just dropped the price to £99.99 so tempted to buy another one. They are refunding me the £125 I originally paid. It's possibly a lottery with these Modem/Routers. You may get a good or a bad one. Maybe my next VR900 will be a good one.
0 Ratings
BoutTime
Contributor
Message 40 of 43

Maybe they've dropped the price because the VR900 v2 (that's on the TP-Link website) is finally going to be released.
0 Ratings