cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MudkipDan
Message 1 of 5

TP-LINK Extender won't connect to my BT Home Hub 5 any more after home move

So I finally have my broadband and phoneline up and running, after a temporary home move. However I am having trouble setting up my TP-LINK (model TL-WPA281 2011/2012). I am able to set up a connection in my room, but without internet access. 

Done a hard reset several times on the extender and rebooted. Followed instructions and tried other messages on this board to no avail. Used same password as my hub and no avail. 

I have noticed when I try to connect to IP it is always 169.254.xx.xx. My BT home hub 5 is on the 192.xxx.xx.xxx range. Tried changing the IP + submask on tp link settings to the BT home hub IP range and always reverts back. Also disabled WPS, can't think of any options that could disrupt it. 

This is very strange, as when I first set this up years ago, I never had much problems setting up and my extender even worked when I had to temporary move flat in the other place. Is it time to give up my TP-LINK and buy a new extender? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: TP-LINK Extender won't connect to my BT Home Hub 5 any more after home move

Are you sure you have carried out a full factory reset of both extenders?

0 Ratings
MudkipDan
Message 3 of 5

I am very sure a full reset of both extenders. Had hit the reset button for 5-10secs on the extender itself with a needle and also done a factory reset on the TP-Link settings page. SSID and password etc was set back to old default.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

It's possibly a mains wiring problem, have you tried pairing the extenders when both are plugged in the same room.

0 Ratings
MudkipDan
Message 5 of 5

I tried that as well. Had my extenders in different rooms and in the same room with different mains sockets, and sadly no difference.

That said, interesting you mention it could be a mains wiring problem, as landlord recently had the flat done up, hench the temporary move.

0 Ratings